• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Roanoke Hustler forklift advice wanted

JBI

Hey,

First off, Roanoke Hustler went out of business WAY before the interwebz, so there's zero info out there on these machines. Google will show you a few for sale, that's it. Wondering if any of the gray hairs on this site have any experience with these machines.

That said, I have an option to buy an old Roanoke Hustler 12k forklift. I would be using it around my shop yard to move equipment here and there, so it doesn't have to be pretty but I do have to be able to keep it working. I would estimate no more than one hour's running time per week if that. Have never bought a big forklift before and would like your advice.

This machine is owned by a customer of mine and they have put it out to pasture. I don't have enough work for a 12k forklift to spend $20,000 on a newer one. Customer wants $3500 for this one, can probably get it for less. I'm seeing comparable-capacity worn-out used forklifts with prices listed at over $10,000 although I have no idea how much they actually sell for.

Dual wheels with 22.5" truck rims out front, driven through a Rockwell truck rear. Engine is a JD 4219D and transmission is a Funk 4000. Single-stage lift raises to 11'. Has raise/lower, tilt, and sideshift. Fork tines are 6' long, have been welded at the heels and need to be replaced. Have one quote at $1500 for a new set of tines, delivered. Steering is shot - bellcrank needs to be bored and rebushed. Rear wheels are old 8" x 20" split rims and tires are holding air but are no good. Brakes and transmission work. No leaks at any of the mast cylinders, and I left the mast a foot off the ground for a week with no drift at the main cylinder rod and only slight drift (3/8") at the tilt cylinder rods.

Roanoke Hustler parts dried up a long time ago, but I'm wondering if that really matters as long as I can rebuild what's in the machine. I'm a one-man business, so I don't have a ton of money to blow on something that gets limited use. I would think something like this could be made to work for a long time to come at less than 50 hrs per year, but your thoughts would be appreciated as I don't buy much heavy equipment.

Thanks in advance.

BillG

I have always advised folks that need something like this to buy a piece of equipment that you don't have to depend on the manufacturer for specific parts. The Hustler is one of those items. Nothing on it that is really necessary that a seasoned mechanic can't keep going. Most parts are (were) off the shelf products that could be repaired or retrofited with something similar.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I have several hours over several years running one....they look to be
made in a 2 car garage, with a buzzbox and a torch.

But as stated above, nothing is proprietary.

Brakes are a goofy hyd boosted system, other than that, not too odd.

I have "off roaded" it more times than I can count, split brakes would help allot. I have gotten it stuck in mud, but it did better than most, and the
common truck tires make adding tire chains easy.
I would buy it, split the brakes, get rid of the 2 throttle pedal shuttle
(Make a separate lever for fwd/rev) so it will stay in gear no matter what.
They are considered "cheap horsepower" and will do allot of work.

I used to ferry it up a steep hill about 1 mile to borrow it, and comming back down had me sweating. As the brakes were bad, the steering really loose,
I'd select 2nd gear, and keep my foot to the floor, to keep the funk
xmission in gear and holding me back as I flew down the steep
hill, taking both lanes to do it.
The last straw was when the steering wheel came off
in my hands...

Last edited:

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Leading to an unscheduled sashay through the boonies? :eek:
No, leading me to take it one last time down the hill, to return it home.
With owner chasing with flashers on, to keep traffic away.
Me with death grip on wheel, shoving wheel
down to keep it onto splines. Seat belt firmly cranked down tight.
The ditches on each side had no berm and are so deep they will
swallow a pick up truck.
And me getting off and kissing the ground when done...honest I did it.