• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Roading DW-21 home.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Yair . . . .

I never heard of that Clawed Backster .

That was common back in the day to tow the back wheels on the highway when moving the 660s. Never seen anything but DW-20s and 660s moved that way. Nothing had to be done to the steering as the 4 tractor wheels were on the lowbed and the pan floated on the pin anyway. It may have a different story if hauling a 4 wheel articulate machine that way. Turns were certainly not sharp with a 90 ft plus rig. Not sure why, maybe oiling issues but the twin engine 666s I was around were hauled with a lowbed and tandem axle 16 wheel, 12 ft wide jeep. The axles were spaced about 6 ft apart with a egg shaped bowl for the tires to nestle between them. Blocks or spare tires were placed under the front of the bowl so the down pressure would lift the wheels of the pan high enough to push the jeep under. Tie the jeep to the rear of the scraper and the front would be driven up over the back of the lowbed and chained down. Next you had to fasten the bowl at a position about 3 inches above the street, disconnect the linkage for the gate ram and lower the cylinder all the way down. You could get close to only 15 ft high this way. I just got a cool refresher course helping unload and set up the 660 that was brought to the Santa Margarita show a month ago. It came in the same way we hauled them 35 years ago. I think it was because of all the work to load, haul, and set back up that it was a reasonable decision to decide to road them some respectable distances.

Trying to get my head around the steering, would they need a cross over valve between the rams to allow the bowl to track?

Cheers.

Hope this made sense. Somehow I wrote my relpy in the middle of your quote. Must be bedtime.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Gotcha fellers. It used to be fairly common to shift D8 size tractors by driving up onto the float and leave the scoop/scraper wheels run on the road . . . I suppose it would be frowned on now even if there were any of them still around.

Cheers.

Flynpenguin

Occupation
Professional Cow Tipper
I've moved 641A's and B's with the tractor on the lobed and the can on a 2 axle dolly under the stinger. As I recall there was a small cylinder up in the hitch that controlled feed back to the hydraulic system. All I had to do was un pin one end of it and the steering was released.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I've moved 641A's and B's with the tractor on the lobed and the can on a 2 axle dolly under the stinger. As I recall there was a small cylinder up in the hitch that controlled feed back to the hydraulic system. All I had to do was un pin one end of it and the steering was released.

Do you have any old photos?