• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Road Train

Truck Shop

I'm betting that those trailers were loaded with very small cattle. LOL

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I'm betting that those trailers were loaded with very small cattle. LOL
Yeah nah Truck Shop, betcha they'll be full size off to market or meatworks. Most likely Brahman or similar.

Queenslander

Look to be Territory trucks loaded with boat cattle, so most likely around 350kg liveweight, 28 to a deck =56/trailer =168/truck =59 tonne/130000lbs per truck.
They’ve obviously hooked the whole show together before attempting the river crossing....
if one loses traction the others are pushing/pulling.

Wes J

Imagine the whining if we had those in the US. Just try dropping 5 mph below the speed limit when pulling a hill and see how furious the 4 wheelers get. I'm sure these rigs would struggle to make 10 mph on the hills around here. There'd be ditches full of wrecked cars trying to pass them.

Plus Werner, Swift, and Prime would have their "graduates" running them off the road.

Tones

Occupation
Look to be Territory trucks loaded with boat cattle, so most likely around 350kg liveweight, 28 to a deck =56/trailer =168/truck =59 tonne/130000lbs per truck.
They’ve obviously hooked the whole show together before attempting the river crossing....
if one loses traction the others are pushing/pulling.
The trucks belong to RTA (Road Trains Australia) and work throughout inland Oz.

Wes J

I watched a TV show about them. They can't keep the cows on the trucks for very long, maybe 36 hours. There are stations along the route to let the cows off to rest.

Labparamour

Do the semis stay coupled throughout the trip or just through that wash?
I remember a book about steam trains and the engineer describing double-headers and the need to listen/“read” your and the other locomotive so each was doing its share of the work.
That looks like some serious driving.
And, between cattle and dust, I’d hate to be the last truck :)

Darryl

Tones

Occupation
Just for you Junkyard and if you have heard the closing music before somewhere and it bugs you, it's the theme from Crocodile Dundee

Last edited:

Queenslander

Cattle in the north and west are mostly only handled and transported in the dry season, It’s just too hot otherwise.
We are further south, and our trips a maximum of around 10hrs, so we sometimes shift cattle in hot weather but try to do it at night if possible.
Those trailers are pretty much a standard design across the country and I’ve never seen one with a roof, except those carrying pigs.
The trucks would only be hooked up to negotiate the crossing, particularly the dry sandy riverbed.
In the wet season, I reckon that “river” would be raging torrent, 100+ metres wide

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Just for you Junkyard and if you have heard the closing music before somewhere and it bugs you, it's the theme from Crocodile Dundee

I love those movies. However true they may or may not be. “I don’t need a gun, I’ve got a Donk.” Haha

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That is so cool. How appropriate that AC/DC plays when the road train shows up! Show me where to sign up!

Tones

Occupation
One other thing you fellers up on the top side may not know is that the front axle sets on the trailers are hooked by fifth wheel. That way all the trailers can be towed individually or any combination. The good drivers can back that set (which is called a dolly) with 2 trailers already coupled under the third. :)

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
One other thing you fellers up on the top side may not know is that the front axle sets on the trailers are hooked by fifth wheel. That way all the trailers can be towed individually or any combination. The good drivers can back that set (which is called a dolly) with 2 trailers already coupled under the third. :)

Having backed a bunch of different multi-axle setups I think (fingers crossed) with a little practice I might just be able to do that :)

crane operator

I grew up in a town with a bunch of livestock haulers, trailers are pretty standard here too (its just a different standard). All are aluminum (saves weight, and the manure doesn't eat them up). Holes down the side that you can plug/cover up in the winter to keep them warm. They have small panels that fit in the vertical slats closing them. The holes stay open in summer to keep them cool. But they all have a "roof" completing the box shell, keeping the sun off the cows also.

img.axd

Partial plugs- they only put in most of the slats (for semi cold weather)
images

Full plugs

WinterKit_bw.png