• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

road side signs

which sign? does it really matter?

• Total voters

cat320

Charter Member
it was in the news this moring about "men working signs" doe any one care if it says men working women working or workers working? some lady sued over this.

I think she has too much time on here hands says it's a mild form of discrimnation. the signs should say get away from me can't you see i'm working here lol.

Last edited:

Leadfoot

I could care less, as long as those signs are cleverly placed in such a way that it forces people to slow down as they pass them for fear of hitting their vehicle, I work with some TCP's (traffic control personnel) and he showed me what a simple pylon can do in the middle of a busy road, everyone slowed down thinking they were going to hit it, and there was no signage or work zone, we were just bored waiting around.

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
I have seen "Work in Progress" signs recently. I guess this is the more PC version. Me, I could care less. There are hundreds of thousands of "Men Working" signs out there, who cares?

NateV

Occupation
Excavating
Ok if they put "women working" signs up then they would have to put a "men working" sign up also. Because you know that there is someone out there that would sue over that too if there wasnt one for men aswell. To me it doesnt matter either way. But "work in progress" or "work area ahead" are good for me.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
I haven't seen any men working signs here for years. Today they have "Roadworks Ahead" signs together with signs with diagrams on them of a person with a shovel in a gravel heap (no boobs though) followed by speed reducing signs, 60kph, 40kph, 20kph etc.

Having talked to the workers in the past they commented on how the general public speed past roadworks creating a dangerous situation, but these days many more signs are used leading up to the roadworks, every vehicle on the job is fitted with two amber flashing lights and all the workers are wearing flourescent vests.

Rn'R.

Grader4me

Here are some examples of the construction zone signs that we use. Some municipalities are still using the worded signs. For example "Men Working" "Be Prepared to Stop" etc.

SignCollage-vertical-copy[1].jpg

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
It doesnt matter to me , I think its stupid that someone is sueing over that as long as it keeps me or a guy on my crew from getting run over its fine by me ,

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
It's just another stupid lawsuit brought to you by the idiots of our nation. They need to stop these kind of lawsuits it just costs us taxpayers millions of dollars that could be used to rebuild our bridges and roads and put guys to work.

Dualie

I think im going to forgo signs soon and just place embankment gunners. Iraq check point style.

doesn't matter how far out you put your cones signs or anything else they will still run up on your a warp speed and not even slow one bit.

I have found out if you narrow the lanes to 9.5' with a hard curb on the one side it will slow traffic down a bit.

That and I off set every third cone in the immediate work area one cone width to the travel lane.

No highway work just city street closures.

euclid

Occupation
Engineering
I could care less who, what or where is working as long as you advise me. But being a sexist they should make signs that reflect a womens body as a sign of them on the job since we all live in such a politically correct world!

:lmao

knucklehead98

I can't believe that some judge went through with that law suit. I don't care what it says ,as long as it helps to keep my fat butt from getting hit by some idiot that isn't paying attention!!!!