• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

River levels, I hate em

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
Well the Willamette is finally down enough that we can start the tie-back installation. It has put us 11 days behind schedule, but I think we can make that up by using 3 drills, 2 long reach from the top and a Clem down on the revetment.
Heres a few photos of the 1st long reach drilling the first of 199 80 foot tie-backs. He made it 60' on the hole before shearing a bolt on the drill head (quick fix) I hope he can average 2 to 3 holes a day from up top (3 would be great and help me get back on schedule). I have scheduled the EC 210, EC160, Moorko 2200 and a JD 450 to be flown over the wall next Wed and will try to get some pics of that operation. We will be flying a 55' long reach over the wall sometime in August, which should be interesting.

Attachments

• Drill set up.jpg
    Drill set up.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 708
  • 2nd can going in.jpg
    2nd can going in.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 704
  • drilling again.jpg
    drilling again.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 708
  • 88 going over the wall.JPG
    88 going over the wall.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 703
  • EC88 breaking the revetment concrete.JPG
    EC88 breaking the revetment concrete.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 747

Lashlander

Hey Big Iron, nice pics. Looks like you had a tough time getting your sheets down. Curious what is the short wall for outside the tall wall.
Seems you'd have to have no drift with your excavator boom to keep the steel from binding in the hole. We've used a platform that hooks on the wall and cantilevers out far enough to set a drill on. Most of the time we just dig the tiebacks in.

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
yea we had hell getting the last 600' in, seems that the engineering firm failed to drill any geo tech holes in the wall alignment. come to find out the old plywood mill that was next door incroached on the site about 600', we ran into old docks, lenses of edger trimmings, sawdust, bark, cedar logs 4' in diameter, you name it we found it. we wound up digging of 50% of depth in many places. the one that screwed with us the most as far as alignment were the vertical wood piles we could not pull and had to breakoff whereever we could reach, the pile tip would hit one and whichever way the wood as going, well you get the point. we tied every piece of iron we had trying to get them straight and you see the result. without a doubt one of the worst looking pile walls i have ever been involved with.

the short wall in the river is a temp wall and will be coming out once we have excavated our 30,000 tn and backfilled.

as for the drill you can't see them in the photo but they have 2 pad eyes welded to the wall and the drill chained off to that, so far we are maintaining our alignment and splays to within spec (knock on wood) we will have a land rig (the clem) on the 2nd row, which is down 12.5' from the top row.

Lashlander

as for the drill you can't see them in the photo but they have 2 pad eyes welded to the wall and the drill chained off to that, so far we are maintaining our alignment and splays to within spec.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the drill alignment.Thats the beauty of sheetwalls, you can weld all sorts of stuff on them to make it work. I've had a tough time getting them down where an old dock used to be because of stub pile too. If the sheet lands in the center it will usually split them but usually they shear off and cause major problems

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
just got home. we have the 1st tie-back in and grouted, things are starting to smooth out. i think we will get 1 1/2 in tomorrow and work up from there. the driller is getting a feel for the material we are in and i think we can average 2 to 3 aday, i will be very happy with that. we should up the average to 3 to 4 when we get the clem on the ground. the long reach works way better than hanging a platform, but the clem on the ground will give us better than either the long reach or the platform. been a long day, cause i still can't keep my hands off the work and i am getting too damn old for this crap (problem is i love it) got a great crane hand on the 65 ton (he's damn near as old as i am, boy is he smooth, i'm trying to get him to let me in the seat he keeps telling me i'm too old, man i hate that) things are moving ahead and that is a good thing. course tomorrow things will probably go all to hell in a hand basket, but if it were easy my kids would be doing it. have a good day, i have been. i'll get some more pic's later this week, and no i am not posting the ones were we screw up:drinkup