• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ripping frost

Radrock

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
hmmm, It ought to be a muddy mess this spring huh? I have operated a D8T for the last 4 1/2 years. You probably ought to be thankful you have a single shank ripper. I have three shanks on mine and the problem with frozen ground is that it is about equivilent of asphalt when frozen. It slabs up on you and is always lifting the back of your tractor up and you can't go anywhere. I have often dropped the two outside shanks or if you can get by with it the middle shank using only two. The three foot spacing is not enough to clear the slabby junk. Also your dozer should have a four barrel ripper. (Able to tilt the shank) If you suck the point toward the tractor it will give you more lifing capacity. A single shank ripper will just about rip it any way you want though. Good Luck!!
IMG_1905.JPG