• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Right lever malfunction, John Deere 326D

tackybrad

Hi everyone,

Would love someone to help me figure out where to start here. Today while using the skid steer for the first time in a few days, I noted that the right lever was very tight - difficult to move in either direction. I immediately pulled it out of the way of the day's work and shut it down. I lifted the cab and took out the footwell. See the video link at the end for some show and tell.

I'm a total layman, so I'll do my best. The machine is new to me, but not new. Runs well, but I'm not sure how well it was kept before me. The lever seems to lack resistance because, when resistance is applied (either through the piece catching when all the way up, or when it scrape a hose in an unrealistic position (wouldn't be there if the cab wasn't lifted), it moves the cylinder that in turn moves the big bolt on a spring. There is some sort of cylinder perpendicular to the main cylinder there - it doesn't move much either, unsure which may cause what or if they're just side effects.

So, I would love if someone could point me in the right direction on what to look for or where to look. Thank you for your time!

Video:
Serial#: 1T0326DACCG230530

Welder Dave

You see where the smaller linkage that's barely moving goes back to the larger dia. pivot with the grease fitting? It looks like it hasn't been greased in a long time. Put some fresh grease in there and work the lever a few times. I'd guess the linkage to the right of it for the other side has more movement. I had a similar issue with a different make of skid steer. 2 shots of grease cured it. The cylinder looking deal acts kind of like a shock absorber. Helps prevent the steering levers from being too sensitive/loose.

I ran a small Mustang 910 skid steer 1 time and there was very little resistance on the steering levers. I got in a bad situation trying to back up a ramp and because there was almost no resistance tipped forward on the bucket. As it tipped, my arms automatically pushed the steering levers forward. Knocked a poorly secured fence down before I got stopped. Could have been a lot worse though. The yard on the other side had a pool. Another scary aspect was I had to climb out with the machine tipped forward because the hyd. tank was in the belly and starved for oil when tipped forward. I'm actually glad it didn't flip back on it's wheels when I crawled out. I took all my chains and was fortunate I had a Come-a-long and there was a tree to hook to to put it back on it's wheels. I would never buy a skid steer with the hyd. tank in the belly after that ordeal. I have tipped over on the side of dump truck loading wet clay. No problem if your hyd's. work but big problem if they don't because the pump is starved.

Last edited:

tackybrad

You see where the smaller linkage that's barely moving goes back to the larger dia. pivot with the grease fitting? It looks like it hasn't been greased in a long time. Put some fresh grease in there and work the lever a few times.
Thank you so much for your reply! Sorry to be a bit obtuse, but I don't see the zerk fitting you're talking about (at least on video). Just to be clear, when you say smaller linkage, are you referring to the smallest on the left right next to the lever, or the one on the right that has the spring?

I'll go hunting in the morning for a fitting to grease up. Surely doesn't looks like much has been in this part of it for a while (the part you can tell I greased up today took like 7 pumps).

Thanks again! Have a great day!

Welder Dave

See the green circle in the above pic., the grease fitting is on the black pipe below it and to the right. The small linkage I'm referring to goes to the pivot shaft inside that pipe and then to the shock absorber thing. That linkage barely moves in your video. The shock absorber only moves when pushing the lever back as well. It should move in both directions. The linkage for the pump control goes to that black pipe. I went to use my skid steer 1 day and the right steering lever was stiff and jerky. Everything looked good and then I realized there is another linkage going to a similar set up like that pipe with a grease fitting. 2 shots of grease cured the problem. Dried grease inside that pipe is what I think is what's causing your problem. You may need to get some penetrating oil in there or even warn it up a bit to loosen it.
Move the other steering lever and see the shock absorber for that side has more movement. I'd guess it does.

Last edited:

tackybrad

See the green circle in the above pic., the grease fitting is on the black pipe below it and to the right. The small linkage I'm referring to goes to the pivot shaft inside that pipe and then to the shock absorber thing. That linkage barely moves in your video. The shock absorber only moves when pushing the lever back as well. It should move in both directions. The linkage for the pump control goes to that black pipe. I went to use my skid steer 1 day and the right steering lever was stiff and jerky. Everything looked good and then I realized there is another linkage going to a similar set up like that pipe with a grease fitting. 2 shots of grease cured the problem. Dried grease inside that pipe is what I think is what's causing your problem. You may need to get some penetrating oil in there or even warn it up a bit to loosen it.
Move the other steering lever and see the shock absorber for that side has more movement. I'd guess it does.
Thanks guys! Some grease did the trick, though interestingly the spot that seemed to fix it was a grease fitting on the backside of the lever, unseen in the video. For anyone in a future reference state, it's right below the new looking gray connector on the backside of the large flat part of the lever.
Seems to be going well now, thanks MG and welderdave!

Welder Dave

Glad you got fixed and it was a simple fix. I should have said to look for other grease fittings. Under the seat or anywhere under a cover a lot of people neglect simple maintenance tasks. My skid steer uses a double u-joint that I grease everytime I change the oil. A bit of pain but much better than having to replace it. A mechanic told me if the steering levers get sloppy it can mean the double u-joints need greasing or replacing. Some brands use a double u-joint that isn't greaseable just like some driveshafts. I'd much rather be able to grease them.