• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Riding in a Mining truck up the side of a Va. Mountain Video, COOL !!

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I'm sure his safety boss will be highly delighted to see him playing with his phone while driving :Banghead Was he actually aware that you were videoing him and going to put it on the web?

doncampbell

Occupation
snowplowing/lawncare
Thanks for taking what was a very exciting video for me to share and turn it into a negative experience and try to cause trouble . That's the last video I share here. I try to see the positive, we have enough negative things already in this world of ours . Why do people have to be so negative ? Why can't we all try to enjoy each day instead of trying to cause trouble ! Couldn't you just say it was a cool video , or say nothing at all .

doncampbell

Occupation
snowplowing/lawncare
Time to leave this website after one week !!

About a week ago I returned to this website after a four year absence . I had recieved E-mails several times over the years asking me to come back.
Last month I got another invitation to return.
So over the last week it had been fun to be back sharing some of my experiences on real equipment and starting to share the hundreds of equipment pictures I have taken over the last four years.
After getting the response today about the Cat 973C Haul Truck driver , I guess it's time to leave for another four years.
Why can't people see the good in things , don't we have too much negative already and we need things to help us enjoy each day . Posting videos is to share my fun times, not to cause people to make trouble and see the negative in them. Every machine operator these days does things his boss might not like .

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Thanks for taking what was a very exciting video for me to share and turn it into a negative experience and try to cause trouble . That's the last video I share here. I try to see the positive, we have enough negative things already in this world of ours . Why do people have to be so negative ? Why can't we all try to enjoy each day instead of trying to cause trouble ! Couldn't you just say it was a cool video , or say nothing at all .

DON DON DON! calm down, it was a genuine observation.

DID HE KNOW a) that you were a filming him, and b) that you were going to put it on the web !

I dont doubt that it was a very exciting thing for you, but you also have to appreciate that many companies are slightly paranoid about what gets put on the web.
I know of operations where that driver/operator could get FIRED for what YOU have filmed.

I was not trying to be negative, take it as a bit of guidance as to some things that you should miss with the camera. :drinkup

ON EDIT, as its your vid why not edit out that little bit, then its a cool vid, I agree and thanks for sharing your experience, I dont suppose I or many others will ever get to experience a trip in such a large and awesome piece of equipment.

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
With all due respect, Don, the comment you refer to was safety related.

I like to think that one of the good things about us here at HEF is that we do maintain a very strong "safety culture". (The fact that that happens without somebody from the company needing to be paid to pound that into us is in itself a tribute to the quality of our membership.) Rather than taking extreme offense, as you apparently have, I'd like you to see that for the positive that it is, and accept it, at worst, as constructive criticism.

And, yes, cool video! Stick around and share some more... :)

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I've merged these two threads, so that the discussion can be carried on in this one place.

danhoe

Well, I have been involved in the underground business for over 30 years. I have always been as safe as I can. My family since 1927, all of us owners. No one has ever been killed, no lost limbs, ect. Don has some of the pictures of our work. I have been on this site for along time including another site also. I posted some pictures of a hydrant install I did and without asking of the pentomertor readings I got hammered for a unsafe hole. It had to be left open for 2 days and not a drop of dirt fell in, but the response was unbelievable. Since then I don't post any pictures on either site. You can ask Turbo how I am, saftey program, pipeline saftey class every year which is this Wednesday, saftey talk on Fridays. Don, I feel for you and don't blame you on leaving. Most people I know are very carefull about saftey and would not want to hurt anybody. You can send me the video's any time also Don that is why I pm my photobucket site. I just spent $ 300.00 to make sure my excavator is up to OSHA standards. My 430D was also inspected with nothing wrong. By the way I have been hurt more playing hockey for 20 years than people have been hurt in the family business. Danhoe

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Well, I have been involved in the underground business for over 30 years. I have always been as safe as I can.

So you feel that the fact that the driver was playing/using his mobile phone or what ever it was in his hands would not raise an eyebrow with the companies Safety officer.
It didnt bother me, it was the driver I was/am concerned about and his job.

I have many pictures I cant and wont put on the web for exactly the reasons you state. Safety pins missing from a quick hitch, trucks reversing with no obvious banksman etc etc etc, :drinkup

HEO Girl

Here, there, and everywhere in Maine and beyond
Occupation
Fence & Guardrail Installation
o_O let's not get hasty . . Love guys . . Love . . Not hate :D. *hugs* . I think this whole thing is one big misunderstanding because everyone says your vid was awesome!!! So what if some one pointed out a little something that they wouldn't consider 'safe' (Don't hate me please haha). I wouldn't take it to much to heart because that is a pretty cool vid!!!

danhoe

Rob, I drive 50 miles 1 way to my job site each day, I-94 is a main express way around my area. This road runs to Canada and to the west across many states, ( alot of over the road semi's, major trade route ). Here is a few samples of the things I see everyday, texting, changing clothes, reading books, putting make up on, plucking eyebrows, men shaving, women nursing babys (sometime men), I can go on. I see you live down under, that is why I put this up here. I don't like this going on because it is very distracting and moving heavy equipment it is not safe for us. Dan

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I see you live down under, that is why I put this up here. I don't like this going on because it is very distracting and moving heavy equipment it is not safe for us. Dan

danhoe I think you are missing the point I was trying to highlight, and what on earth it has to do with whether I live on the North Pole Or middle of the Atlantic, ( UK actually ) :beatsme

I dont give a monkeys uncle what anybody else does on site or off site so long as it is not a danger to others. I dont believe what that truck driver was doing was particularly dangerous in the time and place he was doing it, and neither did he, else surely he wouldnt have been doing it :beatsme he believed he was still in full contol, and uphill fully loaded at 10mph? probably was.
What I was highlighting was "what would his safety officer" say if he saw it. I felt that Don inadvertently and completely unintentionally was putting that guys job in serious question by putting that clip unedited on yu tub.
I dont understand why Don took such very serious offence, then you seem to add to the problem by giving him an extra shove.
Don, I feel for you and don't blame you on leaving.

:beatsme :drinkup

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I don't allow cell phones or texting while operating equipment either, for the obvious reasons.

Now as far as this thread goes, it's time to let it rest.:cool2

doncampbell

Occupation
snowplowing/lawncare
I can add that we were not even going ten miles per hour , closer to five mph, and a eight foot burm on both sides and oncoming trucks are required to stop on a side pad ,stopped completely as we passed, the driver was no threat to anyone going uphill . I'm not here for any other reason than share what I love , Big machines , and model building of big machines and my adventures around big machines. I have many interesting things that many of you would enjoy , please try to see the positive in things, this country and the world is going through such a negative time . I came hear to get my daily fix on machinery pictures and only wanted to help you get your daily fix.
These little instances go on at every job sight everyday . This guy is not going to get fired , it's hard to find a guy to sit in a machine 12 hours a day driving the same 3 blocks back and forth and not look down for a moment at 5 mph. I talked to the job foreman last night and they are short help , can't find help, the next generation hates the coal mines. Trust me, the owner aint firing no-one.

Bob K

Occupation
Fleet Manager/Safety Officer
Long, sorry
Don, my brother in heavy iron, I don't mean to 'pee in the coffee' here either, no one wants to turn your experience negative, unfortunately the lawyers and insurance companies have already done that. Liability is the dirtiest word in the english language now. I've been a Fleet Manager/Safety Officer for 18 years now and a HDR/Welder for 25 years. DANHOE has the right idea. No more 'fun' on the job, pictures and stories can be used as evidence. Most companies now have a 'no electronic device usage during work hours' policy . You and the driver both violated that. You also filmed on private property without permission (as far as I know). IF that company ever goes to court for an on the job anything, (injury or God forbid a fatality) you know there will be at least a civil suit. The opposing lawyer can pull your video off the net, and drag you into court to show the company isn't following their own written safety policy (this is a huge OSHA violation) and not doing all they can to protect their employees. Maybe you can say you purposely filmed what NOT to do because you were filming a Safety Video. But otherwise because of the video evidence, all the liability falls on the company. IF this company finds out about it, and you said you told a foreman, HE, by law has to do something about it, otherwise when the Safety Officer finds out about it the Foreman will at least get a written safety violation warning. The main idea behind company Safety teams is not just to protect the worker, but to limit the companies liability as much as possible. Hopefully it'll just be warnings and some classroom time, to re-enforce the safety polices. Since the economy has tanked, most companies can't take any kind of massive hit, so be ready for something to happen, if not I'm not sure what to think about the company other than their Emod must be through the roof and they're an accident waiting to happen. I don't want to be the negative guy here and please don't get offended, but the world has changed and we have to live with the reality of it all. #$@&&@ Lawyers.....Edit for safety liability bro, but don't stop making memories.................
Bob

Deere9670

Occupation
Farm equipment operator
Long, sorry
Don, my brother in heavy iron, I don't mean to 'pee in the coffee'
she taste a little bitter:D

I see were your coming from here, but hope that it doesent discourage Don from posting any more of his cool experiences. Keep posting Don, and dont leave because of some armchair critics;)

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
don, don't leave. heck, i've been fired for letting a 4 yr old ride on my lap while digging his parents basement. and i would do it again.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Don,
Don't get bent out of shape because of the "advice" you've been given. I've worked in a number of mines in W VA, VA, and KY. The companies are very serious about safety. When I watched your video for the first time, even I noticed the haul truck driver playing with his phone while operating the truck. This is not an issue with you, aside from you videoed it happening. This is an issue with the haul truck driver. Playing with a cell phone while operating a haul truck would be a serious safety violation possibly leading to termination of employment. I'm glad you got to "take the ride", and it's great stuff, but consider, most companies would not let an "outsider" even go for a ride. The operator should be aware of this fact of "no riders" and was stupid for playing with a phone while he had an "outside rider" on board.