1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Rgn hydraulic pump question

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Pipevine, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Pipevine

Pipevine Active Member

Can a gear driven hydraulic pump (ie rgn pump) be mounted with the ports vertical as opposed to horizontal? I tried this and while there doesn't seem to be any issues with the hydraulic side of the system , the gas engine that drives the pump is no hard to start.

2. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

if all pressure has been released from hyd. valve should not be any difference

3. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    If the system uses a closed center piston pump, you may need to add a dump valve to get the engine warmed up.

4. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

Ports really should not matter when I had a honda with a two stage log spliter pump hooked on ours that little engine was a bugger to start because its pumping oil immediately thinning the oil in cool weather helped some but I would have to hook the couplers together to make a loop warm the engine shut it off and hook to the trailer It was a temporary setup if it had to run long I would put a tee and high pressure ball ball valve back to the tank to make a starting loop of no pressure with out having to push though the valve and all the hose

5. rondig

rondig Senior Member

excavation
    Sounds like you are creating pressure as you start it....make sure your valve is open center and in neutral...also make sure your return filter is clean if you have one

6. rondig

rondig Senior Member

excavation
    And make sure the power beyond plug is out if the valve has that option

7. Pipevine

Pipevine Active Member

Problem was one of the valves wasn't self centering thus creating resistance in the circuit

8. petepilot

petepilot Senior Member

sure makes for a hard start