• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Randall Packer

Occupation
Tech
Hello, so I am familiar with obtaining a Product Status Report and copying configuration. Also, traditionally downloading a flash file from SIS and flashing the ECM.
My question though; Is there a way to transfer the software file that is installed on the ecm to a new, blank ECM? For instance, retrieve/download file from ECM to computer and then back to the new ECM.
Reason being, for no longer having access to flash files through SIS. Also not dealing with the local dealership.
Thank you in advance for any info that may help.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
X2. My understanding is copying configuration does just that, doesnt copy the flash file. You'll still need to get hold of the flash file and use Winflash in ET to install it.

Keep in mind copying configuration files from a bad/corrupt ECM isn't really something you want to do anyway. Best to use the old PSR and enter everything manually in ET (for this you'll need a dealer with factory password access), then go through all your calibrations to make the new ECM happy again.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
x3. installing the software & the Config parameters in a new ECM is a 3-step process. First flash the software then upload (a good copy) of the Config file or enter each parameter manually. Lastly perform whatever calibrations might be required - this can be done using a Customer Version of ET.
If you are working with a brand-new ECM that has no configured parameters (e.g. FLS/FTS values) then IIRC you get one "free" attempt to enter each parameter without requiring factory passwords. Subsequent changes are not so easy...........