• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

replacing my deck

dragman1111

Hello, I was wondering the best way to replace the deck on my tag trailer?
Do you try to remove the old self tappers or brake them and start from scratch. Any other hints you guys have will be helpful,thanks for any info.
Dragman1111

stumper120

i carefully tear off all the old wood with the hoe, then burn all the old self tappers out with a torch, then i lay under the trailer with a marker and mark all the holes on the new wood :usa. trying to drill them upsidedown sucks, i never had good luck trying to reuse the threaded holes..good luck

DigDug

My last two trailers that i re-planked had bolts going throught the deck and down beside the cross beams. They had large steel cupped washers to clamp on the lip of the channel . Works good no drilling required. Good luck. doug

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
i carefully tear off all the old wood with the hoe, then burn all the old self tappers out with a torch, then i lay under the trailer with a marker and mark all the holes on the new wood :usa. trying to drill them upsidedown sucks, i never had good luck trying to reuse the threaded holes..good luck

Usually when we replaced the boards they were JUNK, so it was some pry bars, somtimes a chain saw(just be very careful to not hit the steel), and torch the ol self tappers out. It really sucks hitting them with a drill bit, will dull it RIGH NOW. I've done it the way Stumper is saying, mark em and flip it to drill the holes(just make sure you filp it back the way you had it). Another thing, if you are replacing boards, do them all. Just last week I helped a guy with a old step deck and he only wanted to replace this board and that board. I know we spent twice as much time doing only a handful, the others will need it in the next year or so. Strip em all off, see what you have, good time to check your wiring, etc, and maybe even get it blasted and painted. Have fun.
Trbo

sheepfoot

trailer floors

We did are 9 ton about 3 weeks ago, chainsaw, pry bar,sledge, don't waste alot of time with the tapscrews break them off,grind off the crossmembers studs left, mark the frame and install decking,drill and screw to the right and left of your marks, we have several trailers with all type's of hold downs, welded bars,tapscrews,carraige bolts with the large cup washers, most tapscrew store's have the good drill bits and drivers and alway's pickup some extra's along with your safety glasses an gloves. I would also find a meat packers hard hat, they are low profile and will stay on head better(some of those trailer co don't round their steel well) and could cause some stiches if you work the underside as other post's due. ps have a extra drill or two, saves alot of work switching bits.