• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Replacement for 988A

krj

Hey Guys!

I am looking to replace my old 1974 Cat 988A. This loader is used for granite block handling, pallet handling and snow removal.
Blocks that we handle are between 20000 - 45000lbs. With the old 988A we can only drag the large blocks.

I am looking to replace it with either a used Volvo L220, a used Cat 980H, or a new Hyundai HL780-9.

I would like some opinions on these machine (or other suggestions). Also, I am having a hard time finding info on fuel consumption of the old 988A as well as the numbers on the new machine.
I am trying to calculate the return on investment on these, but the info seems scarce.

Thank you. Love the forum.

2005kes2005

the volvo's are world class machines and extremely well balanced= the Cat are also excellent and easy to source parts.
There are lots of low hr hyundias for sale for a reason- junk--- Diffs and trannies are problamatic and not easily fixed
M

loggah

Go with the volvo, there basically a newer version of the Michigan loader ,i used to run Cat and Michigan,michigan was better hands down. Don

2005kes2005

Thought this over . Moving rock is extremely tough on iron similar to moving logs, which we do.
The Hyundai s ok if you lease it and give it back at 2000 hrs - my completion only gets 5000 hrs loading chips- very light duty.
The cat is a great machine, great service but upfront cost is high and parts are expensive.
You are not mobbing this machine so size is not a huge issue.
The weights you indicating suggest you are under specing your machine . Only the 980 would do it well over a long term.
I would look at a Volvo 330c/ d . I have both , they spec like 988 but are no where physically the size. Very close to the 980.
They run Clark diffs/trans/torques which are all easy to repair, and parts are common/ cheap.
The Volvo diesel is amazing - 20k hours is normal - they have peak power at 1500 rpm and will use less fuel than the 966s we have. Further the 220s get exported therefore are expensive the 330 s used are a bargain.
The Kawasaki 115 is in similar class and also excellent , but like the komatsu 600 they run brand only parts which are expensive and limited used .
There are cheap dresser 560 s around but no experience with tem and there s no dealer support

grandpa

Your using a machine (the 988) that's over 40 years old and is still working and your asking other people what they'd recommend? I think the answer would be quite obvious.

loggah

Years ago when i worked on the interstate highway system ,the company i worked for had cat 988A's and 275B michigans, They kept the cats in the gravel pits,and put the michigans in the ledge cuts !!! i owned my own 275 B and ran it for years without any major problems,i did have to chase leaks on the old girl. I would go with the Volvo 330's. Don

krj

I appreciate all of your feedback.

Yes, I understand that the CAT has served us well, but the upfront cost is 500k+ vs 320k for a similar Hyundai. Hyundais have evolved a lot as well.... they used well known parts now. Cummins motor, ZF differential and tranny....

Volvo seems like a good compromise. Especially the new L250

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Years ago when i worked on the interstate highway system ,the company i worked for had cat 988A's and 275B michigans, They kept the cats in the gravel pits,and put the michigans in the ledge cuts !!! i owned my own 275 B and ran it for years without any major problems,i did have to chase leaks on the old girl. I would go with the Volvo 330's. Don

loggah, If you think you had leaks to chase on the 275B when I started working on this equipment we had a 475 III A! That machine used basically two of the hydraulic systems of the 275. It had two main hydraulic control valves so it had twice as many hoses to leak.

Ben Witter

If you want to handle 45,000# blocks I would say that you are really looking at too small of a class of loaders. The L250 all decked out with the most counterweight you can get may handle them but not as well as you might like. Blocks that size are best left to a L350.