• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Replace dipper cylinder

Brian Scott McMahen

I bought a 580k that is in very good shape except it is missing the dipper cylinder. I was wondering how hard it would be to convert a cylinder from a John Deere backhoe to work on the 580k

Welder Dave

You should look for a used cylinder from an equipment wrecker. You could look on Machinery Trader under parts machines or call Dale Weiss(sp). I'm not sure his number but he is the Case guru and may have or know who has a cylinder. His name and number should be in the archives if you do a search or someone like Tinkerer will be along that knows him.

Delmer

have you checked new aftermarket? there are new cylinders built for Case more than JD. Kind of going backwards to put a JD cylinder on a Case, but there's no big reason it won't work, might need bushings for pins, might need adapters for the hydraulic lines, still might not be the correct length.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
If you can get all the specs you might can match them up or have some built.

I bought cylinders and used on my smaller John Deere loader from Magister. 4 new cylinders cost half what one would have cost from JD. https://www.magisterhyd.com/

Tinkerer

If your 580K has a ductile iron dipper and you need to modify the cylinder mounts to fit that John Deere cylinder on it, you are out of luck.
Welding on ductile iron is NOT advisable.
A replacement aftermarket cylinder is about $1200.
That backhoe is certainly worth investing that amount of money into it regardless of what you paid for the entire machine. IMHO
Dale may be able to help you. --->https://e-backhoeparts.com/contact_us
Farmland Tractor in Eugene ,Oregon is another possibility.
Shaeffer Enterprises in Wolf Lake, IL is another.

NH575E

Occupation
Retired Machinist
https://www.magisterhyd.com/custom-oem/

Might be out of business, Our manufacturing facilities are located in Ukraine

Joe H

Yeah I knew that but they have a domestic office. I also read in another forum where someone recently purchased cylinders from them. They had the cylinders in stock in the states when I bought from them so they probably still have stock.

All you have to do to verify is call the (973) 344-5313 number and ask.

joe--h

If I needed one I would have, but not my hoe with the missing bit.

Joe H

Finca SDR

What about those genérico Cylinders northern tool sells? Are those the wrong kind?

That stuff was always the ace up My sleeve in case anything went really wrong or i got any ideas for crazy projects.

Brian Scott McMahen

I know the best thing to do is get the right part. I was hoping I could maybe modify the cylinder I had on hand and maybe save a buck or 2. I think I located a used one locally at the scrap yard. Probably will need repacking. Thanks for everyone’s response.
I’m wondering how much it will cost to get some brakes on the machine.