• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

removing decals

NWH

I need help with sugestions on removing decals on dozers and other equipment
without removing the underlying paint.

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
What has worked best for me is and inexpensive heat gun and wax and grease remover.

Heat the decal up so it becomes plyable then once you get it started you should be able to peel it off with fingers. (Caution!! It will be a bit warm on the fingers) Then use the wax and grease remover on a rag to remove left behind adhesive. (This may require getting the adhesive good and wet with the wax and grease remover and some good old elbow grease!!)

DPete

I second the heat gun or even a propane torch held back a ways. Lacquer thinner on the glue that's left

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
I second the heat gun or even a propane torch held back a ways. Lacquer thinner on the glue that's left

The reason I said wax and grease remover is that it will not be a harsh on the paint as lacquer thinner can be and depending on what paint is on the machines lacquer can actually smear the paint.:my2c

dayexco

our hot water pressure washer if held in one spot long enough will loosen the decal adhesive, they come off slick with a bondo applicator

Bob Horrell

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner/Operator grading business
I agree with the heat gun. Even a hair dryer will do if it is not cold outside. The best way to get the leftover adhesive off is to use WD40. It is just fish oil and will not hurt the paint, but does a good job of loosening up the adhesive.

Goose

The best thing we have found in our shop is a CRUD THUG which we bought from the local Snap On dealer. It is a air powered grinder with a eraser wheel on it about 5 inches in dia and 2 inches wide. it is alittle pricey, but well worth it if you remove alot of decals, especialy on fiberglass hoods

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Use Citrol from Schaeffer--unbelievable stuff--will dissolve that old adhesive like child's play.

knucklehead98

Buddy of mine had his Peterbilt in the body shop a few weeks ago. They had a tool that sounds like what Goose is talking about. Bodyman told us it cost about $40 but it worked WONDERFUL. actually slightly polished the underlying paint a little.Probably pay for itself pretty quick when your buddy's find out about it

02Dmax

I've used stuff called "goof off" that works well. I think you can get it at most auto parts stores

cat320

Charter Member
safest way get a hair dryer heat gun throws out to hot and harm the paint finish then just get the corner with a razor blade after off they sell an adhesive remove for it my sign guy gave some to me to clean my truch up before he had lettered it.

jbailey618

Cat320, You're probably speaking about a product my parents company manufacturers called Rapid Remover ( www.rapidtac.com ) This is an adhesive remover that is very strong, but much safer than many of the solvents used, as well as much more effective. My parents company currently sells their products to Caterpillar (the decals are applied using our decal application fluids) so I thought many of you might find the same products useful. Contact them for free samples if you wish to try it (they will ship free samples within the continental USA).

I hope this can help someone make a nasty job much easier.