• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Removing Beaver Dams

davidd

Occupation
www.paulowniatrees.com
Use a culvert pipe under the beaver dam. BUT it must be modified. Extend it upstream 20 feet or so and drill holes along its length. The water flows into the small holes and they never figure it out. Not drilling the holes , and they just plug the big hole at the front end. A 4 inch or 6 inch pipe will work for most dams.

MtnHermit

I was at the grocery store today and picked up some hot Hatch chili peppers, $0.99/#, so a cheap experiment. According to this post peppers and salad oil will do the trick. I'll chop up the peppers and put some of the mix around the ponds.

Then I'll use the pick and break down all the dams again. I need to dry out the pond so the backhoe doesn't get stuck. It would take a bulldozer to get it out if I stick it.

The creek is at ~2CFS, so a small drain pipe is a waste of time, as is live trapping. I need to dry out the area so the willow die and the beaver go elsewhere.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Removing Beaver Dams:

I need to dry out the area so the willow die and the beaver go elsewhere.
Yeah... that one of your biggest problems... willows.

Sometimes, if you're lucky, they'll eat every thing in the area, and move on.

Doesn't sound like that's the situation in your case....

OCR

farmerleach

F***en Beavers. They have to be the most persistent animal out their. I have been fighting with them in our pasture land for several years. The biggest problem we have is that the neighbors that are a mile down stream who have beavers and they don't want to get rid of them. So the migrate up stream to our place.

We have tried the blasting, I like the blasting. It really cleans things out quick. and its pretty cool to watch. And its not nearly as much work as doing it by hand.

I tried using the put several chunks of big O drainage tile in. About 20 foot either side of the dam. The beaver plugged that solid. So i went and put two pieces in went up about 75 foot either side of the dam, put some old cultivator shovels on it to hold it down, and the next morning the beaver had built a new dam around the end of the pipe.

So for pulling the dam and hut out I found that a boat anchor works good. I tie it onto a long rope or cable and toss it in and pull away with the truck or tractor. This way you can be on solid ground (most of the time) and away from the chunks of trees and stumps that can cut up your tires. And it is so much quicker and easier than using a shovel and pick.

I find that clearing the dam out is best done in the fall when their is little water flowing. Maybe even when the ground and water is frozen. Then I go in with the loader and clear the whole thing out.

We do have guys around hear who shoot them as well. I think they are around $100 to come out and then $20 a beaver. The guy we have used comes out two nights. the second night to is generally just to clean up what ever beaver are left.

best of luck to all you out there fighting with the beaver.

skipper

Stretch a beaver.

Here's a picture of a beaver, and a stretched beaver pelt. Nice rich thick fur. :) Makes for nice fur hats and fur coats.

The Guards at Buckingham Palace still have Beaver Hats , I'm sure. Can't see how they are fake .

Now there is a guy who can really stretch a beaver:tong

Hokiesmokes

Garlon in diesel fuel applied to the base of the tree will take care of the willows. You need a pesticide license to buy the stuff or hire somebody who has one. Anybody who does vegetation management for the utilities should have access to it.

farmerleach

davidd, Yes the pipe we used was specifically designed for drainage. Its about 6 inch ribbed plastic with slits pre-cut all around it. Its the same as the drainage tile that we use around the houses up here.

MtnHermit

Electric Fence

I read in another forum using an electric fence over the breached dam. The wire(s) dangle down just above the water. My dad had electric fence back when we lived on a farm, looong time ago. Talk about a perfect ground, just imagine those wet noses touching that wire. :naughty

I only have two major dams to control, both ~5' across so it would be relatively easy to build.

Once the area drains for a week, I can get a backhoe to permanently fix the area to keep the beaver out.

Where do I buy the electric fence pieces?

Tinkerer

I have been able to get rid of beavers three times. Same creek- about 3 years apart each time. The first two times my son-in-law shot just one beaver. In the upper pool. We made sure the dead beaver stayed there a couple of days. They left the area both times. Never did know where they went !
The third time I dug out the dam as far as you can reach with my backhoe. After I removed the dam I dug down at least 5 feet into the bottom of the creekbed. I guess that the 5 feet of missing creekbed really discourages them. After I did that they went upstream a couple hundred feet and started another dam. I again whacked out a piece of the dam and dug another hole in the creekbed and they were gone for good the next day.