• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Releasing Hydraulic Pressure on ZAxis 120

Dan83

IMG_2012.JPGHey guys, I have a leaking fitting on my main hydraulic tank, I was hoping someone could tell me how to release the hydraulic pressure safely, so I can remove the hose and replace it.:usa

Last edited:

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
Hi Dan . I would just shut it down and wait till the fitting stops leaking . It will loose the pressure by it's self if it is leaking . Haddy

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Not sure about the Zaxis myself, but most machines have a way of relieving tank pressure, either a pressure release on vent or removal of fill cap. But if you have a leak on a fitting connected to hyd tank, simply relieving tank pressure won't help you fix that leak. What you need to do is first remove pressure, then remove fill cap, vent, whatever that machine has, then apply some vacuum from a shop vac. This will allow you to repair leaky fitting and not lose a pile of oil. But don't tarry, do repair quickly.

Dan83

Hey, thanks guys i really appreciate it. I may be wrong so please correct me, but i remember reading a procedure on here a couple of years ago that explained the process on the EX series. It was something like...
1. turn key to on (acc) on.
2. move any function (ideally boom down) with bucket on the ground. this releases Hyd pressure as i remember.
Side note, there is a button on the Hyd tank fill cap that says "PUSH" but im not sure what it means so ive never touched it. anyone that owns/operates a ZAxis 120 please PM me or reply. Kinda on my own here. Im also looking for a good mechanic in the Langley BC area, can anyone help me?

KenAl

Hey, thanks guys i really appreciate it. I may be wrong so please correct me, but i remember reading a procedure on here a couple of years ago that explained the process on the EX series. It was something like...
1. turn key to on (acc) on.
2. move any function (ideally boom down) with bucket on the ground. this releases Hyd pressure as i remember.
Side note, there is a button on the Hyd tank fill cap that says "PUSH" but im not sure what it means so ive never touched it. anyone that owns/operates a ZAxis 120 please PM me or reply. Kinda on my own here. Im also looking for a good mechanic in the Langley BC area, can anyone help me?

That will only work (1. turn key to on (acc) on.) if you have a pilot accumulator. Most likely you do not have one on that size of machine. They seem to be only on the bigger machines now. They used to be on all but have not on the last few series of machines. Sometimes you will get one with a pilot accumulator if it is a grey market one. And you do live in a huge Grey Market area.
Releasing the tank "Push" button will releive the air pressure out of the tank which is what you want for a tank leak. Now if you have a hose leaking below the hydraulic level of the tank or at the entry port of the hydraulic filters you will leak out oil. If you are above then all should be ok.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Quick note, always wear safety glasses when working on hydraulics.

Dan83

Hey, can anyone recommend a good dealer source in Surrey/Langley BC to purchase a new Hitachi lock cylinder for the right rear side acsess panel (battery, air filer compartment) mine is missing as someone punched out mine before I purchased the machine. There is just a hole where the cylinder/lock assembly is located. Thanks!

d4c24a

Releasing the tank "Push" button will releive the air pressure out of the tank which is what you want for a tank leak.

also for releasing pressure before you remove the cap ;) to possibly add oil after a leak :)

cutting edge

Hey, can anyone recommend a good dealer source in Surrey/Langley BC to purchase a new Hitachi lock cylinder for the right rear side acsess panel (battery, air filer compartment) mine is missing as someone punched out mine before I purchased the machine. There is just a hole where the cylinder/lock assembly is located. Thanks!

Start at Blanche equipment,then check Pollard.

If you dont have luck at either of these two,then its off to wajax or brandt.