• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

relay wiring JD310a

flyingpassage

Occupation
retired UPS feeder driver
Still trying to see if someone has a wiring diagram or maybe a couple good photos of the wiring from the starter relay to the starter, this hoe has the key to energize the relay and a start button as well. I just don't want to hook something up wrong and fry wiring etc.. Thanks Jeff

joe--h

4 wire relay? 1 large from battery + & 1 large to starter.
1 smaller from ign switch will be + when on, other small to button grounds through the button to energize the relay.

flyingpassage

Occupation
1 smaller from ign switch will be + when on, other small to button grounds through the button to energize the relay.
Hi Joe Thanks for the info, will the small wire that the starter button go's to go to be the lower stud on the relay which is the ground for the relay?? Thanks again Jeff

joe--h

Without seeing the relay I don't know.
A relay is a magnetic coil that when activated closes a set of contact to complete the current flow to something.
In this case your starter. The battery + comes in and out through those contacts.
The ignition + comes into the coil part of the relay and grounds through the button.
You need to get a picture of the relay up here and see if there are any numbers/letters on the terminals.
Joe H

joe--h

Leave the large wires off, put the small ones on and hit the button. You should hear it click. No click reverse the small wires and try again.
If it clicks hook up the large wires and see what happens.
Joe H

If no click could be a bad relay or seat switch, clutch switch, neutral switch, who knows what on your particular hoe.

flyingpassage

Occupation
Hi Joe; I have the wire for the key on the top small terminal and do hear the click at the relay as it should, what I was not sure of was the button that you push to engage the starter. It looks like that it go's to the bottom small terminal which is the ground .The newer JD relays are now I guess are 4 post not 3 any more. Now the large + positive that comes from the battery go's to the starter solenoid. Now do both the large wires from relay go also to that same solenoid terminal???? Thanks for your help Jeff

hookedondiesel

Now do both the large wires from relay go also to that same solenoid terminal???? Thanks for your help Jeff
The large wires...one comes from the battery to the large terminal on the relay,
and the other large terminal on the relay has another separate wire that goes to the starter.
Once the relay is "energized" these two wires become one.
Like Joe said, a picture of the relay would help. Some relays need to be grounded on the firewall. In many cases, a bad ground on the firewall is the cause of the relay not energizing the relay.

flyingpassage

Occupation
I was able to call John deere and they emailed a wiring diagram to me ,and was able to run my connections to were they need to be. The 4 post relay has to be grounded to the fire wall. I was very surprised that the service guy would give me the time of day for a machine that was made in the early 80's thanks every one here who give advice to me this is a great site for information. Jeff