• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Recovery of flood damaged heavy equipment

MECHTRONIK

I would be very interested in anybody's experiences in flooded machine recovery
What worked, what didn't and what you found inside components and how your repairs held up long term.
Dave Armstrong
MECHTRONIK

The recent flood event in Australia has left us with a maintenance and reliability problem that needs immediate action. Time is paramount if you want your flooded equipment back to work.
Here are some steps you should take.

1 Under no circumstances start the machine until a proper assessment has been done

2 Establish the exact level the flood water reached on your machine and mark the paint work accordingly. Take note if the machine is sitting at an angle Keep photos taken during the flood event

3 If possible remove drive shafts and tow unit to a wash down pad. Remove all covers and flush thoroughly

4 Disconnect batteries

5 Remove cab floor mats and seats and dry out cab if water reached this level

6 Grease everything to flush out water

7 Now is the time to list what components have been affected and what procedures are needed to recover them.

I will break this down into different levels and it will depend on the machine you have and the type of breathers and systems in your machine

Differentials and undercarriage only flooding

1 You will have to establish the level of the water within each diff taking into account the aspect the unit was sitting at during the flood. This will determine whether you just drain and flush or dismantle. Also you will need to establish if mud has entered This will depend on the type of breather system

2 You will need to clean inside the brake assy's and remove any mud and debris and moisture

3 You will need to check all grease and oil cavities around the articulation ,interlocks ,steering and make a determination accordingly

4 All lower frame electrics should be cleaned and dried

Mid level flooding

1 You will have to establish the water level within each component and system and make a determination as to how to proceed from there. Depending on your breather and dipstick type, this will determine if you have water or mud contamination.

2 The engine computer may have been immersed at this point and so should be removed and dried out and checked.

3 If water has entered the engine oil, this should be drained and flushed.

4 The transmission water inundation level should be established and if it is below the clutch packs, you can just drain and flush.

5 If water has entered the brake tank, the brake system will need to be fully flushed.

6 The coolant system should be checked for water inundation and if water found it should be drained and flushed.

7 All machine electrics to the flood level should be cleaned and dried.

HIGH LEVEL FLOODING

The Engine

The air intake piping will need to be removed and cleaned.
The turbo charger will need to removed and overhauled
The inter cooler will need to be cleaned
The injectors will need to be removed and the cylinders will need to have the water removed and the cylinder liners oiled
The rocker covers need to be removed and breathers cleaned. Rocker gear needs to be cleaned
The exhaust system will need to be drained of water
The alternator and starter motor will need to be removed and cleaned
The oil system will need to be cleaned and flushed

The Transmission

Mud contamination, and the level of the water inside your transmission will determine how to proceed. Besides the engine this is the most critical and expensive component. Clutch port reverse flushing can remove most of the contaminates from the clutch pack hydraulic systems. Combined with filter and screen cleaning and oil replacement, careful start-up procedure can save expensive removal and dismantling.

The Hydraulics

The tank will need to be drained and cleaned and the piping to the pump inlets removed and cleaned. Lower lines below pump level may have to be flushed

Fuel system
The fuel tank should be drained and refilled and fuel filters replaced ensuring fuel lines to the filter are cleaned out

Electrical systems

Many pieces of electrical or electronic equipment can be repaired after being immersed in flood waters. The basic work is not difficult, although there will be components within the equipment which may not be repairable except by experts, due to contamination by chemicals, pollutants, or particulate matter
Connector problems
These may be present from the moment the equipment is re-assembled or they may not show up until later. But in any event they may often be of an intermittent nature and thus difficult to trace.

Metal components including electronic chassis and cases
Here the enemy is corrosion and exposure to air of water-soaked equipment can increase this problem. Often a consideration as to the repair-ability is the ease with which the electronics can be removed from their enclosures. Where equipment housings contain accumulated silt, the use of warm water and detergent might be needed to free-up the electronic components. Remember though that the detergent will also remove any oily film from the metal parts which could be protecting them again rusting. Therefore, it may be necessary to spray the metal parts, housings, cases etc. with a good water-displacing penetrating oil to protect them while the electronic components are being treated.
Most of the problems will be related to either immediate or delayed-action connector malfunctions, especially with equipment that relies on computer-control modules connected, as they are, with numerous sensors. On the assumption that any small sensor ports (to intake vacuum and the like) are free of obstructions, that the wiring harness itself is reasonably dry and that the engine, transmission, differential(s), steering gear, brakes and wheel bearings are free of contamination and properly lubricated, and that any control modules have not been damaged physically, a systematic cleaning and treatment of the electrical and electronic connectors may have to be done before problems can be considered to be the fault of the control modules themselves.
In addition to the sensors, all electrical contacts on the wiring harness should be treated. Everything from head-light connectors, fuse holders, dashboard connectors (such as for dashboard lights, gauges, etc.) to turn-signal switches. (Remember switches can be subject to corrosion too). Screw terminals too should be treated
CAUTION-SEWAGE CONTAMINATION!
Quite frequently equipment that has been submerged in flood waters will have become contaminated with faecal or other harmful bacteria. A precautionary rinsing with isopropyl alcohol will generally disinfect circuit boards from electronic equipment without damaging components although semi-sealed items such as potentiometers may have to be replaced. Isopropyl alcohol can also be used on metal parts and cases, although with some finishes and paints a test should be made to make sure that the alcohol won't damage the finish, In some instances, one of the home disinfectant sprays may be used on the metal parts, but again, test for possible damage to finished surfaces.
For the same reasons, precautions should be taken when handling such equipment to avoid infection! And all such infections should be taken seriously as tetanus shots might be required!

General Maintenance
After start up and run-up operation tests are completed another round of filter and oil changes is called for to get out any residue water and dirt contamination

Cmark

Thanks for the comprehensive instructions mechtronik.

We've already recovered several flooded machines, but right now the priority is to get something, anything, running again. Everyone just wants a loader, forklift, pump, anything to start cleaning up.

It kinda goes like this; Drain the engine oil and fuel tank. change filters and refill.

Check axle and tranny oil level. If nothing's overfull then water hasn't got in. If it is overfull then drain and refill. (We find that nine times out of ten, the breather is so small that the air can't get out so the water can't get in).

Remove the injectors and pump the water from the cylinders. (It's amazing how modern batteries can take being under water for a week.)

Bleed the fuel and start it up. If it runs for five minutes, give it to the boys (and girls) and move on to the next one. If it starts knocking or won't move, push it into the corner for the insurance assessor and move on to the next one. There's dozens to chose from!

Obviously not the best repair for the long term, but desperate times call for desperate measures..

We've been working in a place called Rocklea. For the benefit of the majority of HEFers who haven't been there, Rocklea is an industrial area of Brisbane with dozens and dozens of factories, warehouses and businesses big and small.

Not easy to describe, but imagine a place pretty much like a war zone right now. Ankle deep in mud, slippy as an ice rink and stinking of sewage and diesel. Tons of waste piled up in the streets, rotting away in the 30deg C sun. Anything light enough to float has been carried away and dumped where it don't belong. Pallets, porta-potties, water tanks.... I saw one guy with a bale of plastic bottles from the recycling yard sitting in what used to be his office. About half a tonne weight and no way to remove it except break it down and carry it out by hand.

Heartbreaking is a word used by the media to describe everything from an earthquake to someone's cat getting run over, but it's hard to find a better one right now.

Good luck to everyone that's involved.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Cmark, you stay safe out there. If all that mud was just mud, it'ld be fine. But its got every manner of nasty bug and chemical. Don't be afraid to look like a geek and use some safety equipment. And wash your hands before you eat!

Good luck

Randy88

If they're submerged you've got a major undertaking ahead of you, its a complete rebuild to say the least, a local operator had a heart attack and died at the controls of a D6R and it ended up in a lake at the bottom, its getting a total rebuild from the ground up and is getting refitted with new electronics, what upset the owners the worst was it had less than 100 hours on a total rebuild and was just getting started for the season at the time of the operators heart attack. There was nothing left that hadn't been apart on it and it sat underwater for almost two weeks while it was under investigation. They even had to disassemble the rollers and front idler to get the moisture out of them as well. I've never seen such a mess ever and the amount of work that goes into them to get them running again.

You folks in autstralia that had things flood, I'd like to extend my sympathies for the amount of work ahead of you to get things running again and get your lives back together again and the clean up thats needed to restore things to normal again. I've been around floods before but luckily nothing was submerged and all we had to do was deal with the aftermath and clean up, which was bad enough let alone having to get the equipment running that was needed for the cleanup and rebuilding that followed. Mother nature still has the upper hand and can be real harsh at times. Best of luck

DPete

Bet there are hundreds of pieces submerged, this sorry sight is in Brisbane

Attachments

• Brisbane river.jpg
    Brisbane river.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,950

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
Good info, thanks. No doubt it will be needed. To any flood victims out there, my heart goes out to you. Doug

MECHTRONIK

Thanks for your comments
I am going into Rocklea tomorrow to recover a yanmar excavator
Looks like I should book into a local pub as I could be there for some time
regards
Dave Armstrong

Scrub Puller

Yair...it truly is a disaster but I have to say I have seen little evidence of any attempt to mitigate damage. My standard procedure when leaving camp due to the rivers coming down in southwest Qld was to push up ramps and park the tractors and any vehicles six feet above the ground.

They knew the water was coming in Brisbane and yet rows of brand new equipment went under in dealers yards. Those things are earthmovers for goodness sake, if they couldn't get them out of there how come no one made a couple of excavators second hand and built some bloody pads?

At the very least they could have picked up a little excavator with a big one and left it hanging from the stick. In the photo up thread could'nt a couple of those trucks have been saved if they'd hung them from those cranes?

I suppose I'm a grumpy old b*****d but I think there's a lot of dipsticks out there and not enough freak'in oil.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
More pics to bring tears to your eyes.
Some dealer yards just didn't try to move - simply too expensive - some big auctions coming up for sure.

Last pic supposed to be a mine site - looks like only had to drive them a couple of hundred of yards to elevate them .... :beatsme

Attachments

• 805850-coal-mines-flooded.jpg
    805850-coal-mines-flooded.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,698
  • BT Equip.jpg
    BT Equip.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 1,667
  • Roclea flood 1.jpg
    Roclea flood 1.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,771
  • Rocklea floods.jpg
    Rocklea floods.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,630
Last edited:

Scrub Puller

Yair...alaman, that's my beef exactly, even if they had little notice the water was coming there is no reason those machines should have been flooded a couple of hundred meters from a spoil heap...and the sick part about it is the wanker who is running that site has more than likely still got his/her job.

jesusguevarauto

Occupation
Mechanic Terex O&K, Reedrill, Caterpillar
Good Info, thank you!
MECHTRONIK

I post translation it to mi blog.
(I dont speak English. Only Read Excuseme)

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
I have seen the same thing happen here.Knew one crew Boss and all left some equipment near Dallas.We asked did you move it?Why no the water was a foot deep to us.Like you say they kept their job.Idiot Company Owners like these idiots I guess.

JoelDirt

Occupation
Council worker
Great advice! Was out with my uncles skid steer all last week loading everything into the back of the tipper, photos fridges motorbikes etc. Sad to see, especially all that equipment that went under.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
You will be seeing it at Richie Bros.or Iron Planet soon.Washed oil and filters changed ready to go to work.

MECHTRONIK

Recovery of Flooded Heavy Equipment Part 2 by Mechtronik

Recovery of Flooded Heavy Equipment Part 2 by Mechtronik

After the recent flood events in Australia Mechtronik technicians have been working flat out getting a wide variety of heavy equipment up and running again. Using the methods as described in the first blog on this subject We have had a 100 % success rate. It has been 3 weeks now and the damage is accelerating rapidly from corrosion. We have seen some classic mistakes in the recovery process by others who will remain nameless. One instance was days spent removing the injectors and water from the cylinders but forgetting to remove the water from the after cooler which caused cylinder lock-up when the unit was started. Result engine out. Also cranking the engine for long periods to remove the water thereby damaging the bore. Result engine out

The electrical system is copping it the worst. Depending on the design of the electrical system some systems faired better than others.

If the batteries were left hooked up any wiring that has a constant feed will have succumb to electrolysis by now as the system dries out. This can be seen clearly as a green powder around any positive wire.

The only fix for this is to remove the loom completely and lay it out and clean every plug – connection – switch etc. and and replace any damaged wiring Even circuits that are not constantly fed from the battery have suffered damage due to tracking across wet connections.

Localised fires have started in control units with the battery hooked up as the machine dries out.
Some ECU's have suffered electrolysis of internal components and wiring connections. Dashboards tend to retain mud and starter motors are seizing by now.

The engines have faired much better but in the weeks to come if you don't get them turned soon they will seize As the surface rust increases in the bores it is imperative that the engines are rotated only a couple of times to squeeze out the water to prevent lock-up,then started a bit wet to prevent bore damage. Depending on the design of the exhaust manifold you need to ensure that the water squeezed out does not run into the next open cylinder. Loosening the bolts on the manifold can let this excess water out. After your engine has reached operating temperature replace your oil and filter again as any water trapped inside the engine will have mixed with your oil