• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Recommended width for a front dozer blade on a 12H?

Scrub Basher

Hi were in WA - we run G &H all rims interchange

No worries Pedrocar.

I'm in western NSW. I'll see how the 14.00's go and if I spend too much time embedded in a sandhill we might have to have a chat about those 17.5's. I'm guessing you're in iron ore country?

Cheers,

Scrub Basher.

Scrub Basher

Hiya Queenslander,

Yes, just last week! There were holdups with IPS moving premises and busy with other jobs, and we were too wet to go grading in any case. Looks good...strong, well built, although it is still strapped to a pallet and I've just received a quote to mount it this morning. $4K. Ouch.

Cheers,

Scrub Basher.

ovrszd

Occupation
Retired Army
Our machine runs 17.5 tires. Our blade is a modified tractor blade. It's 8ft. I have tire overhang.

In some situations I wish it were wider. Then I get into a ditching situation and am glad it doesn't extend past my front tires.

Totally depends on the work being done. I rarely take it off. Usually to switch to snowplow. :)

20191120_085213.jpg

In the beginning I built it to angle. Didn't like it because it was too far forward of my front tires. Got in the way a lot. So I modified it to only be straight. For what I do I like it better that way. It's as close to my front tires as is possible.
20191120_085242.jpg

Queenslander

G’day Scrub Basher
Good to hear that your blade is working well.
It seems that my fears about old mate going belly up were well founded.
Luckily, I had my rake by then and it is also well built and working fine.

Scrub Basher

Our machine runs 17.5 tires. Our blade is a modified tractor blade. It's 8ft. I have tire overhang.

In some situations I wish it were wider. Then I get into a ditching situation and am glad it doesn't extend past my front tires.

Totally depends on the work being done. I rarely take it off. Usually to switch to snowplow. :)

View attachment 205542

In the beginning I built it to angle. Didn't like it because it was too far forward of my front tires. Got in the way a lot. So I modified it to only be straight. For what I do I like it better that way. It's as close to my front tires as is possible.
View attachment 205543
Hi Richard, I'm pretty happy with the width of the blade. I thought I'd end up taking out gate posts, etc but haven't done any damage to anything yet. It's really handy in scrub, I run along in a low gear with it just off the ground to get rid of any tyre killers and grade at the same time. Yours does look further forward than mine is.

Scrub Basher

G’day Scrub Basher
Good to hear that your blade is working well.
It seems that my fears about old mate going belly up were well founded.
Luckily, I had my rake by then and it is also well built and working fine.
Ah that's interesting. There was a problem with the lift cylinder when the blade was mounted - the boss was cracked, necessitating disassembly and welding. Old mate was going to make good on the cost of the repair and wanted a video of the blade in action, then he dropped off the radar.