• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Recommendations for "New" Used Crane

Knepptune

I thought it looked like a series 60 Detroit which would be about right for the age.

To me that looks like a true link-belt(not a rebranded sumitomo) like a lot of the link-belts are. Which I don’t know if that’s good or bad. The Japanese make really good cranes. From the pictures it looks like the cab is on the American side. All the japenese crawlers have the cab on the wrong side.

The Lsi system should be a full lmi. You just have to tell the crane what configuration you’re running when you put it together and it should be a full functioning lmi.

I wouldn’t be afraid of that crane. I’m pretty sure it’s a true link-belt which means common parts for the engine, hyd hoses and those sorts of thing should be easier to get. Probably doesn’t have metric cable on it either.

Had to edit to say I think crane op is correct. It looks like it has the n-14 which would have been an option for that crane.

Last edited:

wpchrist

My fault on the engine. I didn't know the Cummins n14 was an option so i just assumed it was a Detroit series 60 since that's what the spec sheets say they come with.

I was questioning if that machine really only had 5K hours. Why would the hour meter be off? maybe it was replaced? Makes me nervous about how many hours are really on it.

I do like the load chart for this crane. Even with 200' of boom it's got a lot more capacity than my grove at 160' and the radius I need. And more capacity than the triple 8.

crane operator

Hour meters break. Its not like car odometers. No one buys a million dollar machine and only uses it 200 hours a year. It should have 10-15,000 hours on it.

But I wouldn't worry about those kind of hours. There's a liebherr crawler for sale right now with something like 75,000 hours on it.

Knepptune

May not be case but I bet the hr meter only has 5 digits. 4 for hrs and one for tenths. That’s how our manitowocs are.

15000 hrs sounds about right for that age.

Truck Shop

Welder Dave

Hour meters break. Its not like car odometers. No one buys a million dollar machine and only uses it 200 hours a year. It should have 10-15,000 hours on it.

But I wouldn't worry about those kind of hours. There's a liebherr crawler for sale right now with something like 75,000 hours on it.
The operating engineers training center near my property seems to have boat loads of money and buys top of the line equipment. They have bought a lot of new equipment in the last few years. They have a $1.2Mcad. Kobelco crawler crane that from what I can tell hasn't moved and has only had the boom raised and lowered a few times a year. They also have a Liebherr AT worth about $800,000cad. (I think) and a Todano RT. Probably take 10 years to put a couple thousand hours on them. If you could find a used crane from a training facility like that would likely not be much to have to fix.

Attachments

• 20200826_155852.jpg
    20200826_155852.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 20200826_155831.jpg
    20200826_155831.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 22

BKhitech

New member here so hope I don't stir up to much. I have worked directly for Link-Belt & Manitowoc and can say they both have solid products. True Link-Belt is owned 100% owned by Sumitomo out of Japan, the late model machines HSL series actually is for Hitatchi-Sumitomo-Link-Belt. With either one of these machines the issue You will have is parts availability and prices these Days. My last place I worked We had Customers waiting Months for wire harness for Their Link-Belts when the rats got into the machines. A believe it or not common issue on cranes. The EPIC system on the 888-999's is getting old, boards are obsolete and they are having people upgrade to replacement control boards that are not cheap, I don't recall exactly the prices but it was $1,000's for each board in the EPIC controller which has 1 main and if I recall 4 Input/Output cards. If Your not sending this machine out on projects You can can a low hour used Sany for a decent price. SCC8200. They have a bad rap due to the lack of parts and support in prior Years but things are changing at Sany. Part issues are not so much an issue anymore and they have a Factory service rep that is home based out of SC as well I know. The Sany will have a Cummins engine that was made in the US, Rexroth (German) hydraulics along with the good Europeon DIN style hoses that do not seep and leak like those Flat face fittings used on other equipment.

crane operator

Take one look at resale and you’ll realize just how expensive owning a Sany would be.

Absolutely no one wants a used one, and there are good reasons for that.

And as far as I’m concerned- the Chinese can go kick rocks(said in much more colorful words).

They are a sworn enemy to our way of life, and I do as much as I can to send no money to them. The sooner the free world realizes that, the better we will all be.