• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Recent Crane job!

Lashlander

On Christmas day we had wind gusts that hit 97 MPH. It blew over several stacks of containers in a local shipping companies yard. Six of them went in the water and beat around under the dock until the broke up and sunk. We had to get divers and pull them out. It wrecked 30 containers in all. If your in the market for a container you could probably pick one up pretty cheap!

Attachments

• Lash 349 (Small).jpg
    Lash 349 (Small).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,080
  • Lash 350 (Small).jpg
    Lash 350 (Small).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • Lash 353 (Small).jpg
    Lash 353 (Small).jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,084
  • Lash 355 (Small).jpg
    Lash 355 (Small).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,079
  • Lash 356 (Small).jpg
    Lash 356 (Small).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,078

Lashlander

Few More.

Attachments

• Lash 366 (Small).jpg
    Lash 366 (Small).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 1,064
  • Lash 365 (Small).jpg
    Lash 365 (Small).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,061
  • Lash 364 (Small).jpg
    Lash 364 (Small).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,076
  • Lash 367 (Small).jpg
    Lash 367 (Small).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,056
  • Lash 370 (Small).jpg
    Lash 370 (Small).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,051

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Cheap, hell they would have to pay me to take one of those!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
A question...

So many of the crane flip-overs you see on youtube videos and such involve picks of water filled items; busses, cars, etc. Obviously some of those containers aren't going to hold any water, but for ones that may be relatively intact, do you allow for the full weight of all the water the box will hold, or do you just pick them up real slow?

Lashlander

Everything increases in weight when it leaves the water because of the weight of the water trying to push it out. Even concrete blocks. In that scenario you have to account for the total weight of the load. I have however pulled things off bottom that I knew I could not pic from the water because of capacity of the crane. Things like sunken boats or containers full of water. In that case you have to empty them as you leave the water. When pulling boats you just break the water and start pumping them out. I've held onto boats for up to 20 hours until they have them dewatered and watertight enough to turn them loose.

JDOFMEMI

Great pics Lash

I gotta know, did you check out the condition of the dock concrete thoroughly before setting up on the edge like that?

Lashlander

Hey Jerry, Yes we had the divers look over the underside of the Pier and inspect the Piling before we put the crane on it.