• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rebuilt first yanmar diesel - smokes a little at high load/throttle? rings need to seat?

sepulchral

Hi, i rebuilt a 4tnv98 in a takeuchi tl130, new pistons, rings, rods, bearings, gaskets - within 5 minutes of first firing up i drove the skidsteer around and at max throttle high load (two speed going uphill) it smokes. was driving it at 3am so i couldnt tell the smoke color - positive note is that it ran great. what is the process for seating the rings? I think i put maybe 1/3 to 1/2 gallon of too much oil in it but i dont think that should cause it. Its non turbo btw.

Maybe i need to adjust valves?

sepulchral

by the way, at idle the oil cap will sit and bounce around on the oil fill neck, not enough blowby to push it off onto the ground. so i guess thats good

sepulchral

I honed them. Wel I ran machine hard and it smoked real heavy for 10min then shut it off and smoke was still coming out of muffler. Like burning oil. Started again an hour later and zero smoke at high load. Might have been residual oil

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have always been told rebuilding engines of this class the box of parts costs as much as a new engine from Japan.

How did that part work out for you?

sepulchral

I have always been told rebuilding engines of this class the box of parts costs as much as a new engine from Japan.

How did that part work out for you?
Dude I emailed the Chinese folks on Amazon for pistons and rods and bearings and they sold me what I needed for $480 shipped

I measured the weight of pistons new versus old and mic checked all dimensions and they were exact. High quality parts too

mekanik

The oil from assembling the engine can take a while to burn off.
I would run it and see if it clears up. As far as break in don't idle it and
just work it as you normally would.