• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

rear hub seal and inner bearing stayed on axle when I removed hub.WTH.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I seemed to be able to keep a nicer radius using the file method.
I believe the reason the file works better is it the area is nice a smooth the file teeth ride on a large surface area so the load is carried by several teeth. But when you get to a high spot all the load is confined to maybe two or three teeth of the file so the load per square inch goes way up there by cutting deeper and faster.

Same thing if you have a large flat gasket area, Slide a fine flat file along kind of like a wood plane and the high spots around bolt hole or other imperfections will grab the file teeth and be cut down while the nice smooth areas will barely show a fine scratch!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have done that on the old SC Cummins blocks and the 71 Series Detroit Diesels, worked well for small imperfections.