• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rear Bucket Quick Attach

Bootheal

It's about an 1 1/2" x 4" bushing. Don't know how deep I can get the inside weld but the outside weld should be fairly easy. There's a 4" bushing on each side of the boom.

Bootheal

Thank you both for your response. Let you know how it goes. Be a couple of weeks before I have a chance to get at it again.

Delmer

I've never tried to weld a bead around the circumference so I guess I don't know how it works. I'd use a stick welder and bend the welding rod a little so you can weld a line all the way to the inside edge, one or two beads welded as fast and hot as you can. The idea is to heat the bushing enough to expand it, and heat the welded area enough that it absorbs the expansion and deforms, then shrinks when it cools. The welded bead doesn't matter, you can do the same thing with a torch.

Bootheal

I think there must be different definitions of how easy a bushing can be removed after heating it and allowing it to cool. I really liked the idea of welding a bead around the inside of the bushings so as a CYA thing, I welded a 1" nut inside close to center. After having time to cool, I put a 5/8" allthread rod with nuts both ends and tried to pull the bushing out by tightening the nut. Not budging. Had a burgler torch, so heated the bushings again. Put the allthread puller back in place, put an 1 1/2" pin into the opening and beat on it with an 8# sledge. Beat - tighten - beat - tighten. Took awhile but finally got one out. Second bushing came out slightly easier. Every pull required a new allthread as the rod was stretched so much the threads were distorted. I'm sure there's a better way but I'm grateful they are out. The old bosses are cleaned up and the new bushings are in the freezer. Hope to have them installed later tomorrow afternoon. Do appreciate everyone's ideas on getting this done.

Attachments

• IMG_20170707_182441288_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170707_182441288_HDR.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20170708_155058119_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170708_155058119_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19

Bootheal

New bushings are in and quick coupler connects to the bucket very easily. Thanks to all for helpful advice.IMG_20170709_170630671_HDR.jpg