• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Readying for the KW

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Our Nastiness this morning, this was at 0915 four miles from the house and a HOUR after it started.
IMG_0043.JPG

I just want to congratulate whatever genieass developed this little $25 gem, why did we not have one of these when Anchorless brakes FIRST came out close to FORTY years ago??

IMG_0046.JPG

JPV

Can you show how it works? I have never seen one. I have a tool for installing and removing the spring across the s cam but it doesn't look anything like that, it is kind of a pain also.

Old Doug

I have wanted to try some kind of a tool but most are around $50.00 and i dont want to gamble. I have saw some guys using a forked rod i have thought about making one. Are your new springs the kind were they just have a spring on one end instead of a spring on each end?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Will get a Pic today
Assemble all the S cam end including rollers & return spring and swing the shoes onto axle. This tool sets the anchor end springs and pretty well painlessly.
Tried to locate a Youtube video showing the tool in use, but with the millions of crapy videos on all kinds of dumb stuff could not find one showing that tool in use!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
This was on the site where I bought from, anchor end springs I have are Spring on one end and offset arm at the other end I am supposing is designed for this tool as fit it like a glove, the KW has Single Anchor Pivot point.

s-l1600.jpg

It does not try to roll when doing this and really is a gem as to ease of use.

Are all manner of these out there from $23 to $150 but ALL work the Same.

Truck Shop

A set of brake spring pliers like one below only slightly modified is what I use daily. It's the best and only
tool to use on 4702Q dual web drop and steer axle shoes. On 4702Q's one of the anchor springs the
inboard one is located inside the shoe web and the anchor pins the shoe rides on is fixed to the spider.63640_I.jpg

hseII

This was on the site where I bought from, anchor end springs I have are Spring on one end and offset arm at the other end I am supposing is designed for this tool as fit it like a glove, the KW has Single Anchor Pivot point.

s-l1600.jpg

It does not try to roll when doing this and really is a gem as to ease of use.

Are all manner of these out there from $23 to $150 but ALL work the Same.
I’ll be buying one of those ASAP.

Thank You

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
WillieB, your Doc and mine must have gone to the same school, My back pain literally never leaves, been told suck it up as cannot help there.
I'm not a doctor, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn once.
Seriously, We wired Taconic Spine. They do amazing things. In my case, discs lose some of their internal pressure. The nerves pass out of the spinal column through notches each side. As vertebrae settle closer they pinch nerves. Exercise helped me a lot. Muscles keep things aligned better. Another fix is arthroscopic. they lazer the bone where it squeezes nerve to make more room.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Columbia Ortho here is the instructors for many others across the nation
Doc I see actually designed the inserts in my neck.
His take was after reducing the stenosis some that arthritis has taken solid control of my spine, not much can realistically be done for any considered length of time.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Replaced bearings and races on LFDr, got the remaining three hubs as well the ABS Speed Sensors back on, had to stop as wife have a Snowmaggeddon moment and had me go out get some 'Stuff' to appease her for the next few days. I am off as boss does not like having us deal with materials frozen in the beds or on snow or ice, Never reached 20 here today, snow squalls all afternoon but little accumulation So Far. Tomorrow, Tie down sensor wiring, install axles and fill hubs(Plugs DID come loose easy enough), hang brakes and drums, get wheels on then air the beast up and release Parking brake, check for leaks, remove caging bolts adjust Service Brakes and leak check apply Service Side. Set Park brake, shut all down, Move on to Fronts.
IMG_0050.JPG IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0052.JPG

Will be installing Singles for now, Outboard so when does warm some can paint frame areas. Also need to leak check Bags

And BTW, the sensors did install easily but snugly after repairing the Weldments and clearing the rust in them.

Last edited: