• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Re-occurring fuel issue. need help please

HardRockNM

Occupation
Miner
If your filters are losing prime you will either have a blockage or you are sucking in air somewhere. It sounds like you have eliminated a blockage so that leaves sucking in air. Whichever filter that is losing prime the air leak will be in the line before the filter that loses prime. I would carefully check your lines and every place they make a connection. It is possible to have a leak in the suction side of the fuel system and not have fuel leaking.

One of the mines I work at has a CAT 980G with this problem; it's got a pinhole letting air in, so needs to be primed at the beginning of the day and whenever the machine is shut down for more than around five minutes. The dealership mechanics can't find the leak, so they just deal with it.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Sorry everyone.. I'm alittle late to this party..
As u probably know, when u pulled the filter down & heard a rush of air, its vacuum.. the supply pump on the engine/inj. pump IS PULLING fuel.. but none available which means either the LONG RUBBER HOSE is collapsed or theres a rag in the tank..
I wish I had a nickle for every hose I replaced on a TD466.. I have a tail lite bulb that i rigged up on a stick w 2 long leads that i clip on the truck batteries.. to look into fuel tanks.. works like a dream..
Most of the DT's I've worked on have a hidden water separator up behind the passenger side wheel well..

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
On my old 1974 International 8V71 Detroit on my slasher truck I had similar issues, Turned out the fuel hose from the tank to the fuel pump was flattened out where it laid over the frame, Just closed up from it own weight laying on the frame. New hose and ran like new again.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Like PumpguySC said, this inlet filter screen often gets overlooked.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.JPG
    IMG_0035.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 12