• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ramps for skid steer don't fit in truck - what to do?

Hi, this might get moved to the truck forum but I thought I would post here first to see if you guys have any good ideas.

I have a cat 279C that just fits into my tipper truck body. The problem is I have no room to store the ramps. The ramps are 51kg each so not easy to move around by myself.

I am thinking of building a false floor in the tipper body so I can store the ramps in there. The downside of this is that I will have a decreased carrying capacity - both in weight and volume. It is also not a cheap solution but I can't think of any other way.

My body is already 2.5m wide so by law I can't hang them of the outside as it will make the body too wide.

The steel fabricator guy said he could build the floor but he thinks that just for storing the ramps is overkill. Saying that he can't come up with a better solution and he doesn't have to move them around many times a day.

What do you guys think - any suggestions?

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Hello BE, how long is your tipper body?, what make/model is your truck. I have the 4 tonne aluminium ramps in my ISUZU no probs but I have a 4.2 metre dump body. I used to have the 6 tonne ally ramps for a Kubota 161-3 (5 1/2 tonnes) and they fitted easily. I'm wondering what make of ramps you have that they are so long?.

G'day Squizzy,

Truck is a Isuzu FVD 1000. Truck body is approx 5m long 2.3m wide (inside dimensions) but has an indent where the hydraulic lift is approx 1m in length and 500mm wide in centre of front of body.

Ramps are 6 tonne and about approx 3.6 m long.

Just had a call from a mate who is an engineer who suggested 2 possibles...

1st is fit hydraulic lifts to each corner of skid steer and lift up when in truck. Slide ramps in and the drop skid steer onto ramps for transport.

2. fit hydraulic lift plate in floor of body that lifts skid steer up when loaded and then slide ramps in and drop back onto ramps.

They both seemed like fantastic ideas to me but will wait to find out cost.

yes correct, but also length in that I can't fit them under the skidsteer (even if only one of them) due to inset of ram in front of body does not let me put bucket flat on body when loaded (hits top of ramp) so I can't open cab door.

Width is the biggest issue though.

Does this all make sense??

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
With our old 248B we usually placed the machine more to one side so we could fit the ramps down the other. On excavators the ramp(s) can go underneath but skid steers are another problem. Although I have run a 287B on numerous occaisions I wasn't aware that they were so wide in a Single Axle dump body. In fact, if I remember correctly we had the 287B in the Mitsi 9 tonner with the ramps no problem and it was only about 2.35m inside. I haven't looked at the C series specs on width...but I will be in the cab of a 289C tomorrow so I'll check it out.

On my ISUZU I stand my ramps on edge and put one down each side of the machine.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
How wide and how thick are the ramps? One suggestion would be to mount some brackets from the under side of the dump bed from the edge of the chassis/sub-frame to the outer edge of the dump bed. If you had enough width and the depth didn't interfere with the suspension travel it might work. What I am talking about is like the U-haul moving trucks we have here, where the walk ramp unhooks from the floor of the van body and then slides inside the frame rails for storage, only difference is you would be outside the frame rails.

One thing to consider about a false floor is it will raise the center of gravity on the truck.

Something I have been curious about with you guys down under. I notice that a majority of the smaller equipment is carried in the bed of the truck instead of pulling it on a trailer.

Last edited:

Hendrik

How wide and how thick are the ramps? One suggestion would be to mount some brackets from the under side of the dump bed from the edge of the chassis/sub-frame to the outer edge of the dump bed. If you had enough width and the depth didn't interfere with the suspension travel it might work. What I am talking about is like the U-haul moving trucks we have here, where the walk ramp unhooks from the floor of the van body and then slides inside the frame rails for storage, only difference is you would be outside the frame rails.

One thing to consider about a false floor is it will raise the center of gravity on the truck.

Something I have been curious about with you guys down under. I notice that a majority of the smaller equipment is carried in the bed of the truck instead of pulling it on a trailer.
Would be handy to have some pics of the current set up, makes it easier to come up with possibilities.
I do know where there is a will there is a way. Perhaps a solution is to build rails onto the side of the skiddy and slide the ramps onto them but I can't really say unless I can actually see how everything fits together and you don't really want to mess with the Cat unless there is no other way.
Far as the Aussies and their set up goes, it is mainly for ease of movement that equipment is put into the body. Having to drag a trailer around is a pain plus more expense and maintenance. Also most smaller operators work from home and room is limited. Basically it is a case of why use a trailer if you don't have to. There are some bigger operators who carry equipment in the pig/dog trailer but generally they have bogie drive trucks and carry 25 tonnes of dirt at a time. Some medium size operators carry the ex in the truck body and drag a skiddy behind them on a plant trailer.

nzpatch

do you have a 4in1 bucket? if so can you open it up to get the 279c forward more and the arms right down? the bucket edge wood be at 90 deg to the truck deck to clear the bfob host box? sill thinkin , there must be a way without spending heaps of cash! would you need ramps that are that big , are the 6ton rated?

I'll take some shots tomorrow and post them up of the skid inside the truck. I'll also measure the ramps and let you know. I'm all for not spending $$ if I don't have to.

I did think about just running some wood down each side to lift the tracks up. Problem is I can't fit both ramps side by side underneath as there is not enough room between the tracks. I'll get a picture posted. That will give you all a better idea.

The 4 in 1 bucket is wider than the tracks by about 5 mm each side.

Sorry guys, haven't loaded skid on truck to take photos yet. I had the truck down at engineers today and they are pricing up a lift system for it.

Will let you know the outcome.

hvy 1ton

So there is no way to mount the ramps crossways? I was thinking either on the front of the bed or on the cab protector assuming you have one?

Digdeep

Hi, this might get moved to the truck forum but I thought I would post here first to see if you guys have any good ideas.

I have a cat 279C that just fits into my tipper truck body. The problem is I have no room to store the ramps. The ramps are 51kg each so not easy to move around by myself.

I am thinking of building a false floor in the tipper body so I can store the ramps in there. The downside of this is that I will have a decreased carrying capacity - both in weight and volume. It is also not a cheap solution but I can't think of any other way.

My body is already 2.5m wide so by law I can't hang them of the outside as it will make the body too wide.

The steel fabricator guy said he could build the floor but he thinks that just for storing the ramps is overkill. Saying that he can't come up with a better solution and he doesn't have to move them around many times a day.

What do you guys think - any suggestions?

How did you get the machine in there the first time during the demo when you were analyzing and deciding if this was the right machine for you to spend many thousands of $ on? I know you guys load your machines into your trucks instead of onto trailers but machine width is still an issue here sometimes.

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
Put a couple wooden planks under the tires to increase your clearance when the machine is loaded so the ramps still fit underneath.

bingo, the kiss approach is usually the best.

i'd imagine fitting four rams to lift the bobcat would be hideously expensive.

or perhaps you do what some do and take your door off, unless i'm mistaken this will allow you to raise the bucket some but still be able to get out of the machine - at least it would with a bobcat.

even a bit of thought and engineering to the hinges should be able to make a system where you can take the door off easily and replace it with the bucket raised. i'm thinking some sort fo pn where you crack the door a couple of inches then lift it up and off perhaps.

You don't even need to take the door off the loader (at least this is true for the bobcat) as the "rear window" is an escape hole also, just use it to exit the machine. I have done it many times in tight places or where I don't want to exit the cab and go under the arms and load. It is a little harder to get in and out but it is safe and the "window" was designed for this use.

Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

Have you tried loading the machine backwards in the bed, then putting the ramps on edge over the bucket and tracks on each side?

Seems simple enough to me, but without pictures, I may be missing something.

mouse

Occupation
(wishfully) avoiding work as much as possible
You don't even need to take the door off the loader (at least this is true for the bobcat) as the "rear window" is an escape hole also, just use it to exit the machine. I have done it many times in tight places or where I don't want to exit the cab and go under the arms and load. It is a little harder to get in and out but it is safe and the "window" was designed for this use.

you, cal, must be one small fella. i have enough problems with the front door, i look at the back window and think to myself i hope like hell i never need to use it as an exit...

ah - the mouse tag disguises the fact that i am 6'5" and about 300 pounds +/- 10 percent.

OK, I've come up with a plan and it seems simple compared to the hydraulic lift option.

I'm going to create 2 ramps at the front of truck deck and drive rear tracks up onto them. Then lift what remains of the machines tracks off the ground using the bucket resting on a wedge atback of truck the height of loading ramps. This will have the machine tracks sitting on rear ramps with tracks 200mm off the floor and lifted up at the front with the bucket about the same height. Slide ramps onto truck under raised tracks and then lower bucket/arms down, lowering tracks onto ramps. Easy. Reverse to unload.

Sorry I know I was trying to get photos but I have had machine on same job and not needed to load. I will test out tomorrow, hopefully take pics and try to post.

If anyone is interested hydraulic platform option came in at AU$5,800. I reckon if my alternative idea works I will be out of pocket a couple of hundred bucks.

Last edited: