• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Radio communication

turbo8781

Occupation
retired
Hope this is the right place so here goes.
We are looking for vioce activated headsets to use at our placer mine. There is tremendous background niose because we're using a shaker screen in our setup and we're getting tired of having to yell at each other thru our earplugs lol.
I've found some very nice systems but it was like $2500.00 for a three headset system that was a full duplex. I would like to have them voice activated to keep our hands free but dont want to have to put up with the mini-hub that goes along with the full duplex systems and having a full duplex system is not important but the voice activated part is pretty important.

Is there anybody out there that is in a similar situation that has found a setup that works that wont break the bank :Banghead

forestroad

What is the situation at your placer mine?
Is everybody usually operating machinery or is only one person on a machine, the rest on the ground operating stationary equipment?
We live and die by simple cb radio's in the woods. Crusher, screen, loader, excavator and four or five trucks all plugging up an area the size of a postage stamp against a forty foot solid rock wall gets pretty noisy.
A 50.00 Uniden and a 30.00 magnetic antenna from Napa does the trick, you can go with more expensive units with a bluetooth voice activated headphone/microphone and tunable antenae if you want to tune out the radio rambo show [skip from guys as far away as say...Louisiana??]. Not sure what the highend/bluetooth capable cb's cost but I would guess around 300.00. You can also purchase remote speakers, headphones, even earbuds.
Have seen rechargable handheld units with earbud style headphones.

Last edited:

turbo8781

Occupation
retired
usualy one guy on a piece of equipment sometimes two and always one guy on the ground watching the shaker and pumps. excavator has a cab but the door is always open and its right next to the shaker feeding it paydirt and the cat is an open ROPS so I think headsets are a must not only for the added hearing protection but in order to be able to understand the conversation

kenwortht800

Occupation
Owner of a construction company
Cb radio s that what we use every we're we also use them on the crusher I got the company Chanel