• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

quick question on chains

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
Hi guys,

I have noticed that my tie down chains fail mostly because the cotter pins fall out and we lose the hook.

Has anyone thought about exchanging the pin and cotter for a grade 8 bolt?

Any other solutions out there?

Ken

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
What way are you putting the pin? Cotter pin on the face or the backside of the hook? Should be on the backside.

check

Should work fine, but the bolt head takes up more space on the hook side than a pin head. I guess they don't make cotter pins like they used to.

lantraxco

Bolts, especially Grade 8 are a bad idea for chain hooks, they're not rated for that type of load. Inspectors will ticket you and possibly red tag you until you replace the tie downs with "approved" gear. Grade 8 bolts will shatter if you side load them enough, Grade 5 will bend.

I always just used roll pins instead of cotters to retain the pin, left a couple with cotters for those times when you just have to remove the hook in the field.

Oxbow

I have started buying grab hooks with the roll pin attachment instead of cotter keys because of losing the cotter keys and pins. They are definitely more expensive though.

Last edited: