• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Quick attach backhoe

Odyknuck

Curious if anyone has used the backhoe that attaches in place of the bucket. If so how well do they work etc?

JD8875

One of the first attachments I picked up was a Case D100 backhoe to go with my John Deere 8875. It was handy and way easier than a shovel. I used it two years around my property and dad's farm, then started my own little excavating company and used it for a year in that. My backhoe paid for itself time after time. After a year in business though I bought a mini ex and sold the backhoe. They are great to dig up a water leak, plant a tree, and things that don't require moving the machine a lot. I trenched a lot of water and drain lines with mine but it was always a pain having to get off the hoe, in the machine, move, get back out, dig a little and then do it all over again. They are great utility attachments and I loved it, but I'll dig rings around it with my mini.

John

dave esterns

we have one of those and i love it. it is perfect for someone who does not need a mini excavator but could use such a machine from time to time. obviously, if your trying to dig in the mud it is not very strategic. i could dig you a trench just as fast as anyone in a mini excavator. ours does not have the swinging feature but still works just fine.

Odyknuck

My use is strickly for the Home. Obviously the articulating unit is better. Is having to move the machine to dump the bucket a hassel. The fixed unit is a 1000.00 less than the Articulated. I don't want to spend it if i don't have too. The attachement would be used very little. Keep in mind I am a beginner at this. I have however opereated a real Backhoe some.

dave esterns

if i was forking out the cash i would not get the swinging feature unless i was trying to use it in the mud. it works best when you have pretty firm ground. the only problem i see with this machine is that you cant really dig a trench along a house with it. maybe you almost could if you had the swinging one? most of the time i dont really move the machine much to dump the bucket, i kind of just sluff the dirt off to the side, and usually get way more dirt than what fits in the bucket when doing this. it helps if you are an expert skid steer driver when using this. we just have the machine for my convenience. i use it to dig trenches, grub out trees, carry trees around, bust up frozen gravel and ground in the winter, clean out bale feeders, clean out the small calf pens (would be nice if it was a little longer for this), etc. just like having an arm on the skid steer.

bpogue

I have a similar model for mine, just without the articulating feature. I have actually been pretty impressed with the work I did with mine. For small projects, they work great. You can actually trench faster than with a full backhoe attachment.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
we have one of those and i love it. it is perfect for someone who does not need a mini excavator but could use such a machine from time to time. obviously, if your trying to dig in the mud it is not very strategic. i could dig you a trench just as fast as anyone in a mini excavator. ours does not have the swinging feature but still works just fine.

That i'd like to see. On flat clear ground, I can beat a full size backhoe w/ my takeuchi. A skidloader bucket thingy would be no problem. You realize that you have to be dumping about three times a minute to keep up?

xcmark

Occupation
construction
Ok here is my take on hoes on skid steers......LOL that didnt sound right! first off a full on back hoe that you attach to any skid steer isnt as good as a 6000 lb mini when it comes to productivity. I own a bobcat 8810 backhoe that will dig 12' maxed out , it has a 24" and a 36" gradeing bucket so its not a toy like some hoe attachments. My hoe is ok but for what I paid for it used compared to new cost its great. So having said that I dont suggest getting one of those home owner type trench diggers without looking at resale value and productivity. If I had to do a good amount of trench work I would rent or buy a good use mini excavator and resell it for what I had into in when i was done . as a toy those odd trench arms with a bucket cost around 2500 and resell for less then 1/2 used. A full back hoe for a skid steer can be had for 3000~4000 every day of the week and can be sold for that amount next week. I have $3400 (new sold for almost $12,000) into mine and it has the factory paint still on the sides of both buckets . Honestly it has less then 4 hour use since new when I got it.

dave esterns

hahaha funny joke...

ah sounds like the trick is buying a used one then for half the price of new. i think we paid like 1600 for ours back in the day, and we went halvsies with the neighbors on it so we got 800 stuck in it. the full backhoe that attaches to the front of the skid steer looks like a huge pain in the arse to me. although i have been known to like what others dont before.

buying and reselling a mini seems like a huge risk to me. unless it was less than a couple years old with only a few hundred hours on it. i hate buying out of warranty stuff that is how u get burned, seems like lots of people get rid of their machine for a reason. y is it an "odd trench arm?" {would you rather it have 2 arms? haha...} or "skid loader bucket thingy?" i already said i love it and that it is a sweet unit to have, how come it doesn't get any respect?

so i was in the skid steer tonight pretending i had my backhoe on. i would be a poor skid steer driver if i was doing less than 3 cycles a minute. i was figuring more like 7 or 8 cycles a minute if i was digging a shallow depth. 3 cycles would be nothing to maintain. it seems that people underestimate my bobcat driving skills. its really problematic that i will lose bragging rights once we get that new jcb skid steer with those fancy joysticks where i will lose 90% of my abilities.

cat943

Occupation
loader and excavator operator
Ok had a look at a video on one of those skid hoes. My take on them if used for digging round the house like the odd trench and you were in no hurry they wound be fine and they are cheep..
However if were digging more than a few trenches and wanted to dig next to a house or wall then a side shift backhoe would be the go ..

Now as for the skid hoe beating a mini ex in digging a trench? :falldownlaugh:Hm I don’t think so the mini ex has more power and is a lot faster than a skid hoe and it wont tear up the place when digging like the skit hoe will…

Last edited:

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I'm thinking about getting one of these backhoe attachments for an interim solution until I can afford a mini-ex. Couldn't you back up the skid steer by lifting the outriggers a little bit and just simply pushing back with the backhoe? And has anybody used the Bobcat backhoe attachments?

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
245, possibly but you would be sliding your skidsteer tires the whole way... Also don't those hoes put a skid loader to the tipping point, wouldnt want to be on the backhoe if it decided to roll...

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Don't know never drove one and I wouldn't be pushing it sideways just backwards, and I wouldn't be using tires. And in my experience the parking brake never works. lol