• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Questions from a beginner !

Grader4me

How do I go about finding a truck to use to get tested for my Class 3 ? They don't make any tandem U-Hauls that I could rent do they ?:) I have about 6 weeks now with not a whole lot to do ( except hunt rabbits ) so now would be a good time to get my Class 3 before I start the heavy equipment operators course in March !

I see you started another thread on this, but I will respond to this one. Sounds like you are running out of options. If you do luck out and find a truck to rent/borrow for your driver's test, the question is can you drive a truck? If you have no previous experience there wouldn't be much sense in taking the test.

Start out by setting up an appointment for your written test, eye exam, medical. Once you have completed this (for class 3) and passed your test, you will be able to drive a truck as long as you have a licensed passenger with you. This is the way it works here and I would assume that it would be the same in N.S.

To find a truck to get this practice? If you have no idea's on this, maybe after you complete heavy equipment school and hopefully hire on with a construction company, they would let you practice/use one of their trucks.

What kind of equipment are you looking to be trained on? Hopefully a grader:wink2 There Murray....I've started the process..let the mind warp begin... :Cowboy

Last edited:

Madman

I've driven a few large U-Hauls but thats about it.The course trains you on excavator, dozer, skidsteer and backhoe. I'm pretty sure they don't have a front end loader. Will training on the back hoe be much the same as a loader ? Thanks for all the info/replies !

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
i own my company and still do a little bit of labouring just to show the young guys i still got it.

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
Most newer loaders are getting away from the 2 stick controls and going with the single joystick much like the backhoe,to learn the older machines won't take long.

Don't listen to Grader4me,what you need to do is become a truck driver so you could destroy his grade stakes and steal his lunch :bouncegri