• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Questions from a beginner !

Madman

Hi everyone this is my first post and first question. Here goes. I'm starting an 8 week, heavy equipment operators course ( excavator, loader, backhoe and dozer ) in 2 months. I'm 36 and worked for a construction company 20 years ago 1 summer doing labour work ( and spent a few hours driving a very small roller ). I'm a welder by trade with a bit of work experience welding ( but not a whole lot ) because I spent most of my working live working in the woods around lots of different forestry equipment. I've got alot of experience operating 4x4 tractors with logging winches in the woods and used to own one myself. These tractors had loader buckets on the front and I did alot of snow plowing and moving a bit of dirt with them. There's my life history!:sleeping So where will I start after this course ? Will I have to start as a labourer digging dirt with a shovel ( which I did 20 years ago ) ? Will my welding background help me land a job ? What should I expect ? etc... etc... Thanks and I'll take all the advice/tips that you can give me !

Grader4me

Welcome to the forum. If you look around the site this topic has come up quite a few times. Loads of good advice and tips for people like yourself wanting to have a career operating heavy equipment.
Good luck :thumbsup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
So where will I start after this course ? Will I have to start as a labourer digging dirt with a shovel

I'm sure none of us can really say, because just like so many other things, you can be in the right palce at the right time to find excatly what you're looking for, or not.

I'd venture to say though, that having, some maturity, verifiable work experience, a varied set of skills that you've already picked up, and some of that being on machinery, you'll have a better shot at landing an operator's job straight out of training than if you were 18 and looking for your first job.

(And BTW, being able and willing to dig with a shovel can make the difference too. I still get my share of shovel time...)

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I think you could find a company that would put you in the seat, but not keep you there all of the time. Why don't you stick with welding if you don't mind my asking?

Madman

I haven't done a whole lot of "on the job welding" over the years because when I graduated ( a long haired 20 year old who'd rather party then work ) I couldn't find work without experience. That's when I started working in the woods and kind of gave up on the welding, although I'd always do a little bit here and there and I also have a welder, torch, etc... in my garage which I use alot. It's hot, sweaty, dirty and smokey work ( sounds kinda like construction work doesn't it :) and I'd prefer to be working ouside operating equipment in the fresh air as I slowly start to get older. I'm hoping to be able to use my welding skills wherever I get hired. I also won't mind too much if I have to pick up a shovel once in a while ( after all those years of swinging a saw I think I'll be able to handle it for a while :) .

Madman

I thought a shovel was made for leaning on while you watch others do work :bouncegri

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I thought a shovel was made for leaning on while you watch others do work :bouncegri

Wise old man once said to me "there is few problems in life that cannot be remedied by a good hit over the head with a shovel"

I'm not sure who needed the hit but anyway...welcome to the forum...please maintain a sense a humour at all times and bloody Good Luck with your course.:thumbsup

In fact...whilst I have always been around machinery...it was not long after age 34 that I said "screw working for the man" and decided to become a full time operator...with my own machines. Never looked back...and my part time hobby of stonemasonary eventually became the means of making a living. BTW, I started my Boilermakers apprenticeship at age 15 so there is hope for us rod burning, sledge hammer weilding boilies yet.

Grader4me

Reminds me of the time one of our guy's called the Supervisor on the two way radio, asking him to bring out a shovel to the job. Supervisors reply was "yeah, I will be right out...in the mean time just lean on each other":rolleyes:

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Lol that’s funny right there. I had to get out the shovel today damn I miss my high track cat. I even had to change out my own ripper teeth until I got tired of swinging the 5lb. sledge and decided to smash my hand at least I didn't break it.

Madman

Another question, should I try getting a drivers lisence for a tandem axle truck, Class 3 here in Nova Scotia I think, in the near future ? This would help wouldn't it ?

Grader4me

Another question, should I try getting a drivers lisence for a tandem axle truck, Class 3 here in Nova Scotia I think, in the near future ? This would help wouldn't it ?

Yes, go for your class 3 as a lot of companies require this to operate their equipment. It also looks better on a resume. Here where I work you have to have a class 3 to operate any piece of equipment that we have.

If you don't mind me asking..What part of N.S. are you from?

Madman

I'm in the Valley ( King's County ). What part of NB you from ? My buddy lives in Moncton, he's a pipelayer.

Madman

How do I go about finding a truck to use to get tested for my Class 3 ? They don't make any tandem U-Hauls that I could rent do they ?:) I have about 6 weeks now with not a whole lot to do ( except hunt rabbits ) so now would be a good time to get my Class 3 before I start the heavy equipment operators course in March !

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
I say get your class 1 if you can in my opinion since most times you'll float your machine to your site also its a better shot at landing a job fresh out of school.

What operators school are you looking to attend? I almost went to the one near Sussex NB but for the price and time you get on a machine each day I found it to be a waste of that 4 grand.

As for a truck to write your class 3 try calling a construction company and renting a tandem dump for a few hours in my parts they go from $40-50/hr,just make shure you look it over in a walk around seeing if your lights,turn signals and horn work before the test as they will turn you down if the truck is below standards.

Not that I know,I'm too lazy to drive truck :wink2 :bouncegri

murray83

Occupation
Sounds like your going to the right school and a good chance at decent pay with the union,not shure on the operating engineers on how they treat their guys or about amount of work but hopefully its better than Irving lol :yup

Grader4me

Sounds like your going to the right school and a good chance at decent pay with the union,not shure on the operating engineers on how they treat their guys or about amount of work but hopefully its better than Irving lol :yup

Don't even get you started on Irving eh Murray:wink2
I'm in the Valley ( King's County ). What part of NB you from ? My buddy lives in Moncton, he's a pipelayer

I live about an 1 hour or so from Moncton, towards Fredericton. My wife has family from down your way.

murray83

Occupation
Don't you start,next you'll be warping this poor guy's mind into wanting to run a grader :bouncegri :nono