• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Questions about old John Deere 350B crawler/loader

Glen Weldon

Good day! It doesn't seem like this forum is too active anymore and I'm not sure if this is exactly the right place to post, but I'm giving it a shot anyway.

Almost 10 years ago I bought a JD350B crawler/loader with a backhoe attachment. This was the first piece of heavy equipment I had ever purchased and I went in ignorant. I was advised that it had an oil leak, assumed rear main seal at a rate of about a half quart in an 8 hour day. The asking price was $7000 delivered to my farm about 120 miles away. Knowing now what these machines are I obviously paid too much. I didn't even try to negotiate. Yeah, I was an idiot. Just say I paid my stupid tax!

Anyway, this 1/2 quart per day turned out to be about a quart an hour. I checked the oil and added every hour of operation. So much oil was leaking and slinging in to the starter that after a couple weeks the starter failed to function. The machine had various other issues... the engine ran OK but missed every once in a while. I replaced injectors and cleaned up the fuel system which was in horrible shape. That helped but didn't fix it completely.

Now, the machine has been sitting idle for about 9 years. I'm sure the flywheel/block/crank interface is in need of attention and years ago I researched what it might take to fix it after disassembly and of the part scarcity to take care of the flywheel/clutch issue. That's why it sat. I never really wanted to get rid of it because I was looking forward to fixing it someday. Well, I'm now 61, partially disabled and low on funds. The machine was a beast when it was running and I really liked it but now it's in the way and a constant reminder of my failure.

I figure it's worth about $1000 in scrap at $180 a ton. I've never scrapped anything this big before so I'm not sure how that would work. I'm pretty sure I could get it to run but I'd have to take it apart to scrap it. By now, most of the hydraulic lines will need replacing since it's been in the weather for years. I am at a loss of what to do with it.

Again, I have the ability to do the work on it. I have another tractor with a FEL as a hoist. The undercarriage is almost worn out and would need work. I am without a piece of earthmoving equipment at the moment and can't really afford to buy one, but one is certainly needed for farm expansion plans. What say those who are familiar with this type of beast and what advice might you give to an old man who hates to part with equipment?

Rustyfender

Occupation
Equipment operator
Is there any others around for sale, sounds to me you have a great parts machine to keep another one running, you certainly have gained experience of what problems to look for on the next one. You are going tohave to spend money one way or the other, just my thoughts

Welder Dave

Post some pics. There could be people interested in the backhoe attachment. $7000 with backhoe wasn't that terrible of a price. Probably should have fixed the leak and might not have had to let it sit for so long. If the undercarrisge has some life and the brakes and transmission work properly might be worth fixing.

JD955SC

Don’t spend another dime on it…sell it to another uninformed consumer. Somebody will buy it, people love to spend money on hopeless causes like this.

Delmer

$7k wasn't a bad price, we may have ribbed you for it at the time, but inflation has caught up, you probably could have sold it for more a couple years ago. Now I bet you'd still get your money back out of it. Certainly more than $1,000 and you won't have to cut it up or haul.

Farm expansion would be the last thing that is appropriate for. Farm land is wide open, get a big, cheaper, old tractor and use that instead of the high maintenance low power specialty tool that the 350 is.