• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Questions about excavator auger and brush rakes for mini ex

ThrottleJ

I have a Kubota kx71-3 (6000lb mini ex) that I use around my property. I am looking to get some attachments specifically an auger and a brush rake. I have some dumb questions about using these:

On the auger how do you keep the hole straight? It seems like you would constantly be adjusting the arm to keep the auger in line vertically.

Regarding the brush rake I have seen various designs and sizes usually 24-36". It will mostly be used for berries with some heavier brush. Any suggestions on what size and style would be appropriate for my machine would be appreciated.

Huntoon

Occupation
Sales Engineer. I design OEM tracked undercarriage
I think the auger hangs by a knuckle joint, and bends accordingly. Also, the auger bit should track itself straight down from the initial penetration.

Hendrik

With some experience it is not hard to keep the auger straight but it helps if you have a second person to watch the auger. Biggest problem with gravity feed augers is that they will go wherever the digging is the easiest and rocks/roots will send it off course.
A KX71 should handle a 36" rake pretty easy, the wider the more work it will do.

Alan Wade

Occupation
VP Sales Digga
Auger alignment device

Hello Hendrik,
We have an auger alignment device called a Diggalign. www.digga.com/Diggalign.html the device is an auger alignment system that connects into the top of the Drive unit bail, is connected via a wiring harness back to the cab of your machine. A simple LED display shows you forward/aft & side to side positioning.
Should you be interested in more information please contact me at alan@digga.com

Kind regards,

Alan

ThrottleJ

I bought an auger and it is not an issue. You might need to make a couple very small adjustments to the boom as you dig to keep the hole straight. A second person to watch the hole from outside is helpful.

Regarding the brush rake I did not get one because they are just outrageously priced for what the are. I will continue making due with my toothed bucket and thumb for brush clearing.

Hendrik

Hello Hendrik,
We have an auger alignment device called a Diggalign. www.digga.com/Diggalign.html the device is an auger alignment system that connects into the top of the Drive unit bail, is connected via a wiring harness back to the cab of your machine. A simple LED display shows you forward/aft & side to side positioning.
Should you be interested in more information please contact me at alan@digga.com

Kind regards,

Alan
Cheers for that Alan, if I was using the auger a lot I might get this set up but I don't do a lot of post hole boring and usually have someone on site to give me a hand with alignment.