• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Question for the machinists here...

DIYDAVE

Edit like
Post Options

Bought a cute little wood lathe fer$100 at a yard sale, got most of the tooling, but among the missing is a nut and collet, that turns the inboard end of the tailstock into a holder for 1/2" shank drill bits. The tailstock is MT#2, and as best as I can measure it it's 25 MM (24.75 measured) in diameter (measured over the max diameter of the threads), with a 1.5 metric thread pitch. Is there a specific class name for this style of collet? I can put a MT2 drill adapter in the tailstock, but i'd like the drill head/tailstock to stay as close as possible, for stability. I may try the mfr, but this particular lathe has been discontinued, it's about 20 years old...

crane operator

There's a lot of parts on ebay, and/or maybe a woodworkers' forum, and look by brand and description? If its a common US built lathe, I bet there's someone out there with the parts.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
Just buy a 1/2 chuck and put a mt2 shank on it.
The chuck will have a jacobs taper or threads, the mt shank is seperate.

Ed

Attachments

• 20240129_232916.jpg
    20240129_232916.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 4

DIYDAVE

Just buy a 1/2 chuck and put a mt2 shank on it.
The chuck will have a jacobs taper or threads, the mt shank is seperate.

Ed
Thanks, Ed, was just looking to save about 3" in length, by putting a forstner but in a sleeve, and tightening direct to the tailstock. I know there's a way to do it, just don't know the lingo to describe it...

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
How about a picture of this neat little lathe?

Also if you happen to have any Morse taper bits they make adapter to let you use them with out a chuck. I have a couple different sizes of those. One is even some kind of plastic/nylon!

Just for example:

DIYDAVE

Here's the dope from the factory. The Mercury has been discontinued, all the newer ones are DRO, if I remember right. And they have an easier to adjust belt and a 3/4 HP VS motor. As long as this hundred dollar wonder runs, I don't GAS whether it has alla the bells and whistles! Click on the bottom link for a picture better than I can take...