1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Question about mills?

Discussion in 'Mills' started by Airedale, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Airedale

Airedale Active Member

Is there any kind of mill or machine that can be used to level hard frozen ground ( as hard a concrete ) with ruts and frozen clumps? The machine would not have to pick up the material just break it up in small pieces and leave it flat on the ground. It would have to be small enough to get into tight spots in confined areas. Possibly on a skid steer.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Airedale

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  2. AtlasRob

AtlasRob Senior Member

owner operator
    patch planer

For small confined areas how about a patch planer. Used for cutting out patches in tarmac for repairs. Basically a small mill.

I dont support / work for or anything else for JCB it was the first link in Google with a picture.

http://www.usinenouvelle.com/industry/jcb-2950/patch-planer-p22815.html

The another option would be a rotating head

TF800.jpg

3. krisjanik01

krisjanik01 Member

yep thats it a skid steer profiler/cold planer. cat,hydrapower and bobcat and more make them also you need a high flow skid steer with aux hydraulics.

4. Airedale

Airedale Active Member

Do they have to be used on flat ground? What I would like to use one on is frozen compacted snow and mud with ruts and holes 6 to 10" peaks and valleys.

I pretty much want to make it flat. Not in one pass but so you could drive or walk over it without breaking something. Grading will not work the high temperature today will be about -4 degrees Fahrenheit.

Airedale

5. AtlasRob

AtlasRob Senior Member

owner operator
    Not at all, use it at any angle you like provided the carrier machine can hold it.

6. krisjanik01

krisjanik01 Member

if its a really big area your best to use a 600mm or even 1 meter heavy the better and the biggest skid steer like a case 465 or bobcat s250 will help you get it done alot faster with less stress on the skid steer :bash

7. milling_drum

milling_drum Senior Member

asphalt mill operator (ret)
    Without searching out the links, most companies that make bobcat/skidsteer/mini loaders usually carry a pretty good selection of small mill heads....Krisjanmik makes a good observation about making sure the power source is has a high flow hyd setup on it.....

That head Atlas Rob pictured looked impressive as well, never seen one though.

8. Airedale

Airedale Active Member

Thanks, everyone for the information from all around the world!

Amazing,

Airedale

9. krisjanik01

krisjanik01 Member

check this out called a road header used to dig offramps and so on along with a tmb pretty cool. that pic Atlas Rob is excavator mounted.

Attached Files:

10. SAH

SAH Member

equipment operator, mills,dozers, scrapers, articu
    thats cool, never seen anything like it

11. AtlasRob

AtlasRob Senior Member

owner operator
    The first time I encountered anything like it was on a Cat 973? ( might have been a 963) there is a pic on here somewhere I will see if I can find the original. It was made by Webster http://www.webstertech.co.uk/
    they seem to have come on a bit in the last 15yrs and seem to be available for about any size machine.

It was a 963 :)

brighton 001.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  12. he2009

he2009 Member

Milling Heads

VERMEER - ASPHALT ZIPPER and few others have compact milling heads perfect for this. - Keep in mind the carbide bits vary depending on how tough the material you'll be working on. Since you say you'll be in sub-zero conditions I'd be checking some of the carbide bit grades used on hardened concrete such as airport runways. - Hope this helps

Attached Files: