• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

quarry reclamation

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Hello one and all,

Here's my first stint for the 2009 PHOTO racing season:D:notworthy

As some might remembered I was being loaned out to our materials division last fall, they are now loaning me to a sort of dirt job:confused: It's a little closer to home and I'm one of three guys currently on the job so I've got a shot at runnin just about everything, except maybe the D8, but that's ok by me.

This is the story as I understand it... this quarry was once a long time ago an underground iron mine, which subsequently collapsed, after that it was changed to a quarry and past through several owners. As of now our job is to reclaim the slopes, clean up the piles of steel, concrete, etc and let it be.

Ok, enough of my babbling though, here are the first set of photos.
overview of the old yard
DSC00715.jpg

The most tired 345bL I think AI owns. It leaks from just about everywhere, is dirty beat and scratched, but it still runs, which is more than I can say for that hammer, has a leak from the nitrogen cylinder to the hyd. system, not good.

DSC00716.jpg

The D8r leveling off a pile to get loaded out.

DSC00717.jpg

Cat 980g with a Myers yellow paint job

DSC00718.jpg

I don't know why, but some hoe operators love to leave dirt for the dozer to push up:drinkup:p

DSC00720.jpg

That's it for now, but I'm sure I'll have more to come in the following weeks and months, enjoy:drinkup:cool:

DirtWorker

Jim, good to see you guys are busy. From the sounds of it, work is hurting in the states. I notice the 345 with the hammer has some oil on the undercarriage, and if the hammer is junk is it time to take her to the auction? The 980 looks a little different with the A.I paint, but i like it. Also is the hoe in the last pic the 345 in the first pic with a bucket on her? The bucket looks a little big, and its missing a tooth and maybe even a shank?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Jim, good to see you guys are busy. From the sounds of it, work is hurting in the states. I notice the 345 with the hammer has some oil on the undercarriage, and if the hammer is junk is it time to take her to the auction? The 980 looks a little different with the A.I paint, but i like it. Also is the hoe in the last pic the 345 in the first pic with a bucket on her? The bucket looks a little big, and its missing a tooth and maybe even a shank?

Yeah, we have 4 pieces of equipment on the job, one 345, one D8, the loader and an A30d. The A30 and D8 are AAM machines and the 345 and 980 are ICM. The hammer got traded out on Monday for a better one, apparently the nitrogen was leaking out into the hydraulic lines:Banghead More than 70psi of gas and you could here it gurling up the lines. So yeah, the hammer was due for a rebuild I guess. The 345 has a "few" leaks on it... it went through 8 gallons of hyd. oil today, so it needs to be looked at too. It handles the bucket pretty well though, I think it is either a 60 or 66 inch bucket and yeah, it's been missing a shank since before it arrived on the site.

As far as work, we're really slow right now, I'm quite happy just to be working right now, hopefully this project will keep me busy till spring:drinkup

Last edited:

EddieWalker

Great pics. Love to see more of the job as you progress. Especially if you can take some from the same place every month and then post them all together.

Eddie

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Another day at the Lake

10pm Sunday night, seems like a good time for an update.

Spent the week jumpin between 980 and A30d (when it ran:Banghead).

Just cleaning up some concrete chunks...
DSC00721.jpg

The first slope we are reclaiming... with only one truck, we're making some good progress.

DSC00724.jpg
DSC00727.jpg

This is the first pile on Friday (1/9) and Friday (1/16)

DSC00719.jpg
DSC00731.jpg

more to come...:cool:

Last edited:

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
wheres this job at?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
wheres this job at?

Morgantown, right next to the landfill. We get buzzed by probably a couple hundred seagulls every day:rolleyes:
DSC00728.jpg

It's ok though, there are a few bald eagles that hang around the place too, I find them to be a very cool bird, and not too common around here.:notworthy:usa

DSC00733.jpg

Everything seems to break down on the cold days:beatsme

DSC00725.jpg

dirt digger

Occupation
ahhh...yea i believe i know where you are talking about..on the other side of the landfill as 10/176?....little closer the driving to MD everyday for you.....any news on that poop plant they are building right there in Coatsville behind Lukins?

hoeman600

Occupation
yellow thingy moverer
thats the old slag pit bethlem steel owned than sheridon corp than us.(aam) i worked in that landfill for bfi. i was their for the first load of trash. long time ago bout 13 years or so. when it opend.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
thats the old slag pit bethlem steel owned than sheridon corp than us.(aam) i worked in that landfill for bfi. i was their for the first load of trash. long time ago bout 13 years or so. when it opend.

Yeah, sounds about right.

From what I keep hearing the lake there used to be a big stock pile then the old ore mine shaft collapsed and goodbye pile. Before my time though. I never realized how long that landfill was there, what all did you do there?

Hey dirtdigger,

Last I heard the poo plant is gonna keep those guys busy for another year and a half or so. I guess they are rebuilding the whole thing. I don't know I practically live walking distance from it, so I know the least:rolleyes::pointhead

Last edited:

dirt digger

Occupation
thats good...i saw them putting in some big drainage pipe this summer, not AAM...some other outfit

then talking with Bob Rube I think it was, he was saying that AAM landed the job in there and i guess started right around the new year

too bad you didn't get sent there if you live so close

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Lets see if the photos are working this week... Yes they do!:usa:drinkup Nice work Steve...

These are all from a couple weeks ago, I haven't gotten this weeks yet.

First shot was pretty cool with the fresh snow and the sun trying to peek through the clouds. Too bad it was the POS 345, mechanic finally came out that Friday and looked at it, I guess 2" of play in the boom's base pin was enough reason to finally try getting a better machine in.... course they brought our newest 345c in:beatsme

The rest are that week's progress on the slope.

Attachments

• DSC00735.jpg
    DSC00735.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,288
  • DSC00739.jpg
    DSC00739.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,275
  • DSC00738.jpg
    DSC00738.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,242
  • DSC00730.jpg
    DSC00730.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,283

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
new hoe

This is a few shots from this week of the Cat 345cLME they brought in. It's just shy of 3 years old, 4500+ hours on it.:usa

Rumor is, we're getting a second truck too.

Oh, and the fuel truck:drinkup

Attachments

• DSC00740.jpg
    DSC00740.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,260
  • DSC00741.jpg
    DSC00741.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,256
  • DSC00748.jpg
    DSC00748.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,247
  • DSC00745.jpg
    DSC00745.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 1,252

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
Greta pics Jim thanks for sharing, I really enjoy before and after / during shots :drinkup

Your welcome Rob, I enjoy sharing them, but sometimes I worry that people get bored or tired of seeing them. Good to hear I'm not boring everybody:drinkup:notworthy

Got some photos of the new 8 to load one of these days. The d8r we had there had a major issue so it got sent to the shop and our newly aquired D8t was dropped off. It looks so much better than it did in VA:cool:

dirt digger

Occupation
you guys got a what now???

i'll have to see this thing

Wolf

It's ok though, there are a few bald eagles that hang around the place too, I find them to be a very cool bird, and not too common around here.:notworthy:usa

Cool shot of the bald eagle. Wow.

Last edited by a moderator: