• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Purchasing an Articulated Dump Truck

mwisales

I guys,

I have the same question, I've been looking for some used dump trucks on the 30t size to replace my 25 year old komatsu and Moxy, and I was looking on the Terex TA30 in Europe, since I can find them more than Bell B30.
Are Volvos A30E or D really better than Terex or Bell, in wich aspects?
I know volvos are more popular and alot more expensives! Should I buy a 10000h A30E instead of an TA30 or B30 with 5000-8000h ?

The trucks will work few hours a year but will have them for 10-20 year more like the komatsus, but they will give work versatility that will pay up for them in short time.

Since it was 20 years ago we bought the last trucks we are down in information so I'm asking you guys for some information.

PS: Moxy and komatsu we have are tandem transmissions, that suck and is expensive to run!

Thanks for any feedback
Regards

gaiex,

I'm sure most of the other guys could give you a better idea of the power, and the ride of the two machines... But I work for a company that supplies rebuilt components and new parts specializing in articulated trucks and I can tell you a few things.

The Terex really depends on the year as far as component issues and availability. Anything before the Gen 7 used the German ZF Axles and transmissions, and I can tell you the most popular items we get calls on for the Terex is the transmission (which I won't even build in house and I do every other brand of transmissions with two dynomometers for Cat, Volvo, Allison, etc.) which costs around $25,000 USD + if it has to be replaced because ZF parts are quite expensive. The other part I constantly cell is the center differential (also ZF) which has some power divider issues and we sell this at $14,000 Exchange quite often.

And if you find you need an engine for the older trucks, good luck finding one... It's that bad.

The Volvo has it's fair share of issues too, mostly the drop box that transfers the power to the axles. We usually see issues at 12-14000 hours... and the price is about $17,000 USD to replace. One of the issues we see, however, is many people run the articulated haul trucks in 6 wheel drive consistently because they think that is how they are supposed to run, but Volvo clearly states it should be locked in in certain conditions when needed only.

The engines seem to run forever (I have some clients who have 40,000 hours and still the original engine), and we supply many alternative parts for the Volvo trucks (suspensions, bearings, etc.) that can keep the cost down on the machine operations.

The reason we stock Volvo alternative parts, and not Terex, IS because there is more of a market share.... So all I'm saying is it's a bit easier to keep up with those types of machines that more of the world is running... And it's a bit more of a competitive market.

gaiex

gaiex,

I'm sure most of the other guys could give you a better idea of the power, and the ride of the two machines... But I work for a company that supplies rebuilt components and new parts specializing in articulated trucks and I can tell you a few things.

The Terex really depends on the year as far as component issues and availability. Anything before the Gen 7 used the German ZF Axles and transmissions, and I can tell you the most popular items we get calls on for the Terex is the transmission (which I won't even build in house and I do every other brand of transmissions with two dynomometers for Cat, Volvo, Allison, etc.) which costs around $25,000 USD + if it has to be replaced because ZF parts are quite expensive. The other part I constantly cell is the center differential (also ZF) which has some power divider issues and we sell this at $14,000 Exchange quite often.

And if you find you need an engine for the older trucks, good luck finding one... It's that bad.

The Volvo has it's fair share of issues too, mostly the drop box that transfers the power to the axles. We usually see issues at 12-14000 hours... and the price is about $17,000 USD to replace. One of the issues we see, however, is many people run the articulated haul trucks in 6 wheel drive consistently because they think that is how they are supposed to run, but Volvo clearly states it should be locked in in certain conditions when needed only.

The engines seem to run forever (I have some clients who have 40,000 hours and still the original engine), and we supply many alternative parts for the Volvo trucks (suspensions, bearings, etc.) that can keep the cost down on the machine operations.

The reason we stock Volvo alternative parts, and not Terex, IS because there is more of a market share.... So all I'm saying is it's a bit easier to keep up with those types of machines that more of the world is running... And it's a bit more of a competitive market.

Thank you for the reply mwisales

For what I understand from your reply, also the Gen 7 Terex have problems in the differential?
What is the gearbox and differential maintenance hours for this components? any other important to know?

In the Volvo artics the major problem is the gear box at 10-12.000h or also other transmission parts?
Also in the maintenance schedule what other important components we need to know about?

I don't know yet but since I'm in Europe, normally the ZF parts are relatively easy to get, but not cheap.

PS: About the CAT and Bell, how do they compare, regarding components reliability, to the above?

Thank you very much for the information.
Renato