• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Purchasing an Articulated Dump Truck

clansing1

I am looking at purchasing a Terex TA25 or a Volvo A25 dump truck. The Volvos are more popular and cost more. I can find a lower hour Terex for the same $ as a higher hour Volvo. We will probably only put about 350 hours a year on the machine so I'm trying to spend less than $30k. any suggestions or opinions? Also, what are the areas to look for on the machine besides the engine, tires, trans.?
Thanks in advance.

robin yates uk

the Volvos seem to be the most popular in the UK,I just looked on Equipment Trader and the Terex start at 52000 dollar. Same site Volvo at 29000 dollar

rare ss

regardless of the hours you intend of working one thing i'd be thinking about its parts availabilty.. if one if more popular then there would tend to be more parts around in both the new and second hand markets not sure what Terex is like in the US but downhere parts are abit thin on the ground compared with CAT Komatsu or Volvo

I know there a bigger machine but i got a soft spot for the CAT D400EII we had a batch imported from the UK used to run rings around our new 740's in the paddock at the time, alot tougher front suspension too

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
I would travel to some construction sites that have either brand and ask questions about dealer support. No matter how good the truck, it's going to have a problem sometime and that's when your dealer matters.

alco

It's funny how things can go either way. We ran a fleet of Volvo A35Cs, and the only downfall I could see was parts availability. In all fairness, that was about 10 to 12 years ago, so maybe they have changed, but I still feel they make the best truck. Having said that, one contractor at home bought an old Terex 2766, I think it was. It started it's life working on the English side of the Channel Tunnel, and he got it cheap....and pretty worn out. I have no idea what parts would have been like to get, but "Kermit", as they named the truck, never seemed to stop. It just kept going, and going, and going.....LOL.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Looking at artics involves a lot of systems besides the obvious engine, drive train and tires. Brakes are probably the most important and most all now have dry disks like oversize automotive brakes. Most also use air operated power boosters pushing hydraulic oil to the calipers. There are usually separate reservoirs for each axle. An empty reservoir means that set of brakes need attention.

The center hitch is probably the most important component of the frame. Lift the box all the way up and if you feel the front of the machine suddenly tip forward, you know there is a problem.

Well used trucks always build lots of stress in the dump boxes and they all crack up over time. Check real close around the pivot pin bosses and the cylinder lift points. The other big problem area in the box is the chute where the dirt slides out. When you pick up the box, check that real close. It will probably be thin enough to show cracks next to the welds.

Finally check the cab out real close. Missing bolts around the transmission shifters and dash panel means someone was looking for an electrical problem.

That's a quick and dirty list to start with. I'm sure others here will give you more things to worry about.

I don't have a preference on any articulated truck basically because I absolutely hate everything about them. I've had my nose rubbed in them far to much to wish that kind of aggravation on anyone else.

Good Luck!

buckfever

Anyone ever have steering pump problems with the A30's.

Is yours a C model? what is wrong with your steering? We have a a25c and our machanic looked at our problem. It seemed like the steering and the bed were slow but had plenty of power. he said it's not a pump pressure problem but a valving issue. On yours the steering and the bed are the same pump. Your fan motor is a different pump.

lpnt65

Occupation
Retired
The Volvo may be more expensive, However They are Fuel misers compared to other makes, If you are only going to operate 350hours per year would it not be more practical to hire a machine from a Contractor,

Last edited:

plant tech

Occupation
diesel plant fitter
how reliable are bell articulated dumptrucks, are they strong enough to endure 24 hour shift. If there is anyone with an idea with these machines pliz help

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
What model Bell are you looking at. Considering your location and Bell support in Africa, Bell might be a good bet. Just pay attention on the center section, both the articulation and oscillation joints, if they are worn they can be repaired unless they have worn through the bushings and into the parent metal. A models had Deutz engine and ZF transmission, B model had ADE engines (Mercedes clone) and ZF transmission. C models had Mercedes engine and Allison transmission. The Bells were good enough for Deere to buy in and label Bells as John Deere with some modifications.

dodgeram22871

Occupation
plantfitter
i have worked on cat,volvo, and bell .volvo the c model they are bulletproof the older cats are very good , the bell are only ok.with the volvo steering fault is the steering very heavy if yes it equiling valve the seals in it are worn just open it change the seals

Cats4me

I have a Bell B25C Articulated Dump Truck. I have owned it for over a year now and it has worked out great for me. In my business we load ships 5 times a year using our off road trucks. We run the trucks 23 hours a day for seven straight days. The Bell has never given me a problem.

gaiex

I guys,

I have the same question, I've been looking for some used dump trucks on the 30t size to replace my 25 year old komatsu and Moxy, and I was looking on the Terex TA30 in Europe, since I can find them more than Bell B30.
Are Volvos A30E or D really better than Terex or Bell, in wich aspects?
I know volvos are more popular and alot more expensives! Should I buy a 10000h A30E instead of an TA30 or B30 with 5000-8000h ?

The trucks will work few hours a year but will have them for 10-20 year more like the komatsus, but they will give work versatility that will pay up for them in short time.

Since it was 20 years ago we bought the last trucks we are down in information so I'm asking you guys for some information.

PS: Moxy and komatsu we have are tandem transmissions, that suck and is expensive to run!

Thanks for any feedback
Regards