• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Purchasing a new backhoe. Input and also to buy with 4-1, or upgrade with a 4-1?

newdesertfox

Yeah after hearing all the input and looking up hoe 4x4 it sounds like that is used for helping out with a loaded front loader and efficiency of the machine, not so much traversing negative terrain

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Yeah after hearing all the input and looking up hoe 4x4 it sounds like that is used for helping out with a loaded front loader and efficiency of the machine, not so much traversing negative terrain
Exactly- There isn't enough weight on the front to have any problems needing 4x4- until you load the bucket. A loaded bucket on a 4x2 machine will bog up in the mud quickly. Been there, done that.

FWIW- You just don't see a lot of extenda hoe and/or 4n1 buckets around here. I found a 4x4 with the hang on forks 9hooks on top of bucket, just scoop them up to use them) and have been very happy with it on farm life. And frankly on the farm- I have a cab, would just as soon have open station.

Frankly- once I got a decent sized skid steer with a few attachments, other than pure digging, my backhoe sits all the time.

franklin2

What is the extenda hoe good for? Since I am just starting to use a backhoe, I thought it would be great to use to scrape along shaving just a couple inches of dirt up, but I was reading the manual on mine(I don't have the extenda hoe option though) and they say don't use it for that, it's not made for it and it will wear it out prematurely.

xgiovannix12

Occupation
Operator/Mechanic/Truck driver
What is the extenda hoe good for? Since I am just starting to use a backhoe, I thought it would be great to use to scrape along shaving just a couple inches of dirt up, but I was reading the manual on mine(I don't have the extenda hoe option though) and they say don't use it for that, it's not made for it and it will wear it out prematurely.
Check out my case videos on youtube. I tend to use the extendahoe a lot and dont know what Id do with out it. my youtube is MRGIOVANNIX12