• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pulling wheels/hubs on Cat 12E Grader (brake job)

DualsportWA

Hi all. I have a 1964 Cat 12E road grader, and just adjusted the brakes for the first time this morning. Got the pedal back, and things are working. I did notice that I seem to be out of adjustment on one of the wheels. So I'm "pro-actively" researching brake hub (wheel hub) removal for when brake shoes are needed.

The service manual shows a hydraulic press (See attached picture, I've read it takes 25 tons or more to move the hub on the shaft) to remove or install the hub. I'm wondering if anyone knows of an alternative way to do this? Thanks for any info!
Cat-12E-wheel-puller-1024x680.png

Bluox

Where are you located?
I may have all that stuff left in my puller set.
Haven't pulled a blade wheel in 15 years.
If you aren't too far away I can come pull it.
Bob

Reactions: DB2

DualsportWA

Where are you located?
I may have all that stuff left in my puller set.
Haven't pulled a blade wheel in 15 years.
If you aren't too far away I can come pull it.
Bob
I'm in Cashmere, WA- I see you're in WA as well, where are you? I'll PM you to get your contact info....