• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pto question time

brownie25

Hello all ,
Could someone give a basic explanation on how a pto should work on a auto transmission,
I have a 2013 mitsubishi canter fuso 7.5 ton tipper that I just bought with an existing problem with it not tipping,I think I have narrowed in down to the shaft from the gearbox not turning the pto the pto Is engaging but not turning, there is only one electric connection from the pto to the gearbox so I assume that tells the gearbox to engage the shaft when in park,
If I select drive and slowly move truck forward the whit pto on and tipper switch held in the up position it will tipp the body up but as soon as I stop moving the tipper stops aswel
Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks

terex herder

Some transmissions take the pto off the input side, others off the output side. Sometimes when off the output side there is a disconnect at the rear of the transmission to allow the engine rpm to be increased without the vehicle moving.

You are going to tell us more about your setup.

cfherrman

Sounds like a converter driven pro

The PTO will only be spinning as the wheels will be spinning unless it's in neutral. To get the PTO engaged you have to have trans in drive and with tires stopped, and as you move forward it engages it and spins the PTO, then you should be able to keep the PTO on and shift to neutral and then PTO will spin all the time until you kick it out or shut off the engine.

Lots of feed trucks have autos and pros and they drive at a speed and dump the feed at the same time.

brownie25

The PTO will only be spinning as the wheels will be spinning unless it's in neutral. To get the PTO engaged you have to have trans in drive and with tires stopped, and as you move forward it engages it and spins the PTO, then you should be able to keep the PTO on and shift to neutral and then PTO will spin all the time until you kick it out or shut off the engine.

Lots of feed trucks have autos and pros and they drive at a speed and dump the feed at the same time.
OK so I have tried this and still no joy as soon as I put truck into neutral it stops tipping

cfherrman

Sounds like the PTO is on the output shaft as others have mentioned. You will have to drive forward to tip and you will just have to learn how to do it safely.

If you want to spend money you can see if there is a converter driven PTO spot, it will be closer to the bell housing, or you can install a live PTO on the crank of the engine.

You can see if the PTO has been programmed to kick out at neutral which is possible but not likely.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator

We have 2 Allison automatics. One has to be in neutral to be engaged, but you can put it in drive once engaged. The other is opposite. If you push the button while in neutral, the button just flashes, you have to put it in drive. Once engaged, the truck can be placed in neutral.