• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pto pump on L8000 dump

monkey

Thanks Mitch, tightened up the valve a little. Night and day difference, operates quicker, no more having to run a smaller load and no more praying when it gets 3/4's of the way up.....goes right up
Again thanks :)

biggrader

Occupation
Owner/Operator
well my problem, lol, I do think the pump is going bad

Getting weak, to big a load and it will only go up about 3/4's of the way, even a half way decent load and it struggles at the top, really have to mash the throttle to keep it going

I would like to just replace it. so my question is....where do i get one and what do I ask for????
looking at the picture, is it just a pretty straight forward swap? Somebody mention draining the tranny?

Thanks guys

Glad mitch found your problem....Sounded to me that the oil level was low in the tank.

David McGill

its not hard at all to change the pump, four bolts, control/air cable and 2 hoses. just a PITB if you dont have a cutoff valve on the tank. Of course if the fluid got that hot, you might want to change all of it anyway. Make sure you install a ball valve on the bottom of the tank, if you dont have one.
do you have a shaft driven pump, or direct mount pump?
Where is it mounted? bottom or side?
You will need to know all this before you can get the correct one.
I would recommend buying a new/rebuilt one about $600, but the last one I bought I put a ad on my local Craigslist and got one for $200. I took a chance on it being a good one and it turned out OK
Lots of the big truck salvage shops has these, off of wrecked trucks
Im in NC and I could give you contacts in my area, but the freight would kill you
Good luck
I have a 1995 Ford F800 dump. None air.The bed just stated coming down today when I engage the clutch and also after it raises all the way and the cable trip kicks it out, it starts emidiatly coming down . I can shift it to neutral and then back to the up position and it trips at the top and starts coming down.any time I clutch the truck the bed starts coming g down

David McGill

It is a straight forward swap. You just remove the hoses and control cable, then the 4 bolts set in about a 6" square vertical flange about a foot forward of the rear of the pump.

Granpa was talking about removing the PTO and rebuilding it at the same time, when he mentioned draining the transmission.

I would still check the relief valve before buying a $600 pump. To do this, disconnect the hose going to the cylinder,get a 5000 psi gauge and dead-end the hose into it. Put the control valve in the raise position,have someone rev the engine, and see if the pressure reaches 2500 psi.

The relief valve is the threaded stud with the screwdriver slot in it below the suction hose with the hose clamps on it. To raise the pressure, you loosen the locknut and turn in the stud with a screwdriver.

Good Luck,
Mitch
Mitch. Please see my comment on this post. Thanks