1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

PTO hydraulics on a GMC Top Kick

Discussion in 'Construction Equipment Attachments' started by Willie B, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Two things. WTF are they using a torch to cut off a 3/8" bolt that would take all of 15 seconds to remove??? Second, who in the hell packages up something that they obviously damaged removing??? I mean, really??

2. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Update: With considerable help I've identified the PTO as a Muncie, and discovered the model #. Some strong solvent has drizzled across the printed nameplate obliterating several characters. DuaneB at Welding web has two decades old info about these transmissions, PTOs, and Hydraulics. PTO will run at near engine speed, is rated at many times the HP I will need. Pump will move 31 GPM at 3600 RPM, 3600RPM, and 3000PSI. It should be a good match. I'll call the seller to address the damage to aluminum case. The flange surface is OK. The surface a mounting bolt should contact is a crater, nothing for the bolt to contact. I'll call.
    IMG_0468.jpg IMG_0468.jpg IMG_0469.jpg IMG_0468.jpg [

3. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Damage.jpg Damage3.JPG Damage3.JPG

Attached Files:

4. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

The PTO came from California. It is damaged with cutting torch, or plasma. I don't know what to do. The seller will "get back to me"

Willie

5. Jonas302

Jonas302 Senior Member

Maybe a nice heavy washer like cat uses might find enough surface to tighten down on or have the local welder try to add some back in
    Hopefully seller will refund some of the cost

6. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Flat squarish piece of steel about 3/8 thick with a hole drilled in the middle to bridge the gap and knock the goobers off?

7. repowerguy

repowerguy Senior Member

mixer truck mechanic
    TIG the hole up and then re drill the hole. It’s the long way home, but it should work.
    Might be a good reason as any to buy a TIG setup, I don’t use mine very often but it is handy to have and I stick weld with it also.

td25c likes this.
  8. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

I'm the local aluminum welder. I feel I can replace the missing metal, but how much the distortion will affect the shape of the gearbox, I don't know.

9. Theweldor

Theweldor Well-Known Member

Your just building up the bolt hole. I don't think you will need to worry about distortion.

td25c likes this.
  10. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Weld it up and take a flat file and straighten out the side where it mounts on the transmission. I think you'll be fine. It's certainly not worth sending all the way back to california. You might get by even with a self locking nut with the flat side/ washer made into the nut.

[​IMG][​IMG]

td25c likes this.
  11. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Will it crack at a later date?

12. Theweldor

Theweldor Well-Known Member

I can't foresee it happening.

13. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Thank you. I'll keep you informed.

14. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

It kind of stinks that they would send something out like that, all the way from california, I would probably be a little ticked, but it probably isn't worth the hassle of trying to send it back.

If he's willing to send you another one for nothing, I wouldn't turn it down, but if it's full price for a different one, I'd run what you have.

15. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

I wanted to cry! It was like buying a pig in a poke. I had only the seller stating it was in "good" condition. The truck, and transmission are old enough I can't find this stuff in every salvage yard. It seems these mated PTO/pump combos must match. New was getting very complicated, and 8 times the cost.

16. oceanobob

oceanobob Senior Member

general contractor
    The hole repair has maybe been resolved? The nature of welding aluminum is one thing, aluminum castings the next headache sometimes. Was a braze rod able to fill that depression to allow the fastener an opportunity to hold it onto the trans....
    Curious.

Maybe report on progress when time allows, thanks.

17. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

I'm an aluminum welder, but I had the concern that nothing welded is ever exactly the same shape. The seller is LKQ, a big chain of truck salvage yards. The first came from CA, they then sent one from FL. which had been taken apart, bearing, and shift fork replaced in the wrong places, causing some real carnage in the gears, and shafts. Also, the pump had been replaced with one with shorter shaft, and it only partially engaged the half moon key, buggering both keyways.

LKO ultimately has said they don't want to deal with me.

Our local truck parts company was bought out by Fleetpride. It turns out the cost for new wasn't as bad as I had thought.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  18. oceanobob

oceanobob Senior Member

general contractor
    Any news on this PTO for the dump? Figuring if maybe so then it would be here. But then again....

19. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

As spring slipped away, I got way busy. Now summer is over, I hope for a bit of a lull in my level of work, and can again spare a few days to work on this. I did buy a new PTO/Pump combination, as repeated attempts at finding used in serviceable condition failed.
    The project includes moving everything at the rear of the frame forward about a foot. Removing rivets has been a nightmare! These are, I presume crushed , and headed hot. They are shaped like a whiskey barrel. Removing the head, and driving them out with a punch is a fail. I've bought a plasma cutter, and will experiment with it, but that is a maybe at best. Thus far best success is drilling all the way through with a small bit, then opening the bore with an acetylene torch. In any case it is a time consuming process.

20. oceanobob

oceanobob Senior Member

general contractor
    Thanks for the update on the rivet removal. Does simply heating the rivet with the torch (after the drilled hole) help to drive them out? Will the new fasteners be rivets or some form of specialized frame bolt?