• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pt-80

cybermallinc

thinking about a small, year round logging & firewood operation in southeastern pa. with a sideline snow removal component. logging terrain is hilly with minimal rock & mostly established logging trails & snow removal is mostly hardtop & some 2b gravel drives.
presently have jd 317 skid steer but it's hard maneuvering in the woods when it's wet. recently demoed the cat 257b & asv rc-60. felt most comfortable in the rc but it doesn't have the lift i need so leaning heavily toward a pt-80 for better suspension/flotation than the 317. i understand it comes at a price but i'm the only operator & take care of my equipment so it should last. the cat is just too much money.
i'm looking for anyone with a pt-80 to tell me what they (don't) like about the new machine? particularly looking for feedback on the mp1 cab (without a lap bar). the tech dept. at asv says it's selling better because it's roomier. i've spoken to one operator who runs the mp2 cab w/ lap bar. only negative i've heard is the rough shift pattern between 1st & 2nd (up or down) unless you throttle down beforehand. thanks

bullit340

I am reseraching the same thing. I tried out a pt 80 yesterday. I am told that they are the only tracked machines that will push a 10 ft pusher with no problem. An aquaintence I know has 3 of them. Loves them for snow work, he says he can actually climb the snowbanks and dump snow on the other side. I am told that once you have one everything else is just a glorified wheelbarrow.

cybermallinc

keep in contact regarding your research. i need a machine for forestry work & plowing. i don't do any construction. here is what i've come up with. the mp1 cab (no lap bars) is roomier than the mp2 with (split lap bars). does any other manufacturer omit lap bars like asv? the red dot a/c unit rocks & only adds 4" to the 86" height so i guess 90" total isn't bad. sorta like a takeuchi mtl height. the track tensioner is mechanical turnbuckle style & is relativley easy to adjust. i've heard thru a source that the pt-80 undercarriage is the easiest to clean & most durable of all of them. weight distribution is excellent at 50/50 which will reduce 'pitching' over logs in the woods for me. visibility out sides is just ok, rear is exc. like a deere, front when hooking to attachments is ok but not as bad as cat. the pilot controls are hydraulic not electric. less to breakdown. cylinder arms & pivot points are bushed.
you have to idle down to shift up or down. most times when you start out you already know what gear you will need so this shouldn't be an issue. more torque in 2nd gear than previous mahcines that's why it's 11mph top speed not 12.5
looks like asv nailed with this machine. what else have you found out?

talus

You won't be dissapointed with the pt or sr 80. I had a wheeled machine before this NH 185. I laugh now at times when I think of the stuff that I would get hung up on. I'm sure you noticed but the asv has a lot more ground clearance than any of the others. I will say I don't think it has the lift capacity of the New Holland. The NH had a roc of 2500 and the ASVs' is 3000.
The NH was way ass heavy and was a verticle lift machine so may not be fair to compare the two. The grapple rake I have is about 800lbs and can still lift 2'-3' round 12' long logs of whie oak pretty easy. The balance and stability of the machine is incredible. If you have any more questions fire away.

cybermallinc

I have a jd317 presently. it's a pretty good lifting machine. i just demoed a pt60. the rock i lifted, curled & drove away with on the 317 face planted the pt60. that's why i'm looking at the 80. i would consider the pt70 but it doesn't have a2 speed yet.

talus

I looked at the sr 70 breifly myself. After seeing the 80 with more features it was a no brainer. It's more $ but not that much for what you get in the 80.

cybermallinc

asv pt-80

just found out today that asv doesn't make the mp2 cab anymore. they are just making the mp1 without lap bars. i guess because of the demand for more room. they said the mp1 comes standard with: glass enclosure, wiper, heat, a/c, hydraulic quick attach, bucket positioning, , horn, backup alarm.
can anyone say what they paid for their pt-80, what options they got, & the interest rates & financing terms at this time? i just called all 12 dealers in the state & am just starting to get callbacks with prices.

cybermallinc

no way. 0% for 60 months! that's incredible. they just delivered your old machine back to my shop this afternoon with a repaired hydraulic system. i'll go out back & try to lift the "big rock" again tomorrow. if it can't do it i'm sending it back for good & getting a quote on pt-80. i'm going to ask for the same financing. thanks

talus

Are they masons? LOL. Before you make your purchase if you are coming up this way you can come by and demo mine. I've got some land you can mess around on. I live on the other side of RI from your relatives in Foster.

jimmyjack

i live in portsmouth just over the bridge from bristol.

i dont think you'd get that same deal, cause they screwed out on the quote thats how we got it, the salesman when he called asv to get the quote on financing that guy said the 0% for 60 so thats what the salesman told us, then the guy from the financing dept called back the next day trying to back pedel so when the saleman called back and told the different deal we said we didnt want it then. but the guy for financing left a voicemail with the first deal so the saleman held him to that deal to get the sale so it worked out for us

talus were'd you buy yours, you get in from norfolk power. if so how do you they're service

talus

I got mine from a place up north (NH). Typical saleman bull. Will tell you anything to get you to sign but when you need them there gone like a fart in the wind. I needed some warranty work done and couldn't get them to send a service truck down to fix the problem. Could have brought it up there but couldn't get the machine to start. Gave me the run around for a couple weeks and ended up going somewhere else. As far as that other place goes I'll send you a pm:Banghead. It's a little bit of a ride for you but check out Ahearn Equipment in Spencer, Ma. Very good service dept. I won't bring my machine anywhere else. I would have bought my machine from them but had a trade in that they were not interested in.

cybermallinc

pt-80 mp1

just found out asv doesn't make the mp2 cab with the lap bars anymore. they only made it for 2 years. the new pt series cancels out the lap bars totally. now, the standard mp1 comes with: horn, back-up alarm & poly roof panel, fixed seat. But if you add the kit #2046-078 you get: hydraulic quick attach, all weather cab (heat, A/C, wiper & glass door, suspension seat & bucket positioning. the only thing left out is the rotating beacon.
if you want a loaded machine get the mp1 with #2046-078 kit.