• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Pros & Cons of LGP Tracks

Bandit44

What are the advantages and disadvantages of the LGP tracks on a dozer? I have one with the wide tracks and love it. But I am new to dozers and running them, I hear all kinds of advice but would like to hear from people that run them every day. I know from digging out to ponds that they are hard to get stuck. But other than that would like to know more about the two types of tracks and what they are best suited for.

ror76a

"I know from digging out to ponds that they are hard to get stuck."

I wouldn't say they are hard to get stuck, have seen plenty stuck and may have even stuck one or two myself :rolleyes:. Just depends on the material you are working in. That would be the main advantage of the wide LGP tracks though - lower ground pressure for wet conitions, an LGP dozer can work on ground that you can't walk over. The extra width also helps in side sloping, keeping you from tipping over. The main disadvatage would be higher operating costs - not only the extra steel in the undercarrige, but increased fuel consumtion to turn it and usually shorter undercarrige life, especially in side sloping and on hard ground. They also have a smaller blade- they are wider true, but shorter resulting in smaller capacity. In my experinace the std tracks seem to push harder too. Generaly you should run the narrowest tracks that you can and still get the job done. If you are in ground that will suport a normal track width it will be harder on the undercarrige of an LGP machine, especialy rock, rock kills LGP U/Cs. They can certianly go places that a standard machine wouldn't dream of, but if you work in hard ground most of the time you are beter off with a std machine. All of my dozers are std machines, most of the work I do is in reasonably hard ground (when I do get into bad mud I have rented LGPs) and I can't justify the extra expence of running those wide tracks.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
X2 if is very easy to tear up a set of LGP tracks trust me.

Ray Welsh

Banned
X2 if is very easy to tear up a set of LGP tracks trust me.

I purchased a D7G-LGP in 1982 for a special job. It was a Jap (cat mitsubishi) machine and had pyramid grousers (sometimes called self-cleaning plates) which were great in mud and it would out perform a D8K in loose material as the blade was the same width with unlimited power to the ground.

However it was hard on track gear but I blame that partly on the fact that it was working in sloppy sandy crap much of the time. Charge out rates must allow for this and I used SALT chains and ran them to destruction, never turning the bushes. This machine was always in high demand due to the performance and I'd have another one in a heartbeat if I had work for it. I finished up keeping it for 16yrs (30,000hrs) and sold it due to changes in work practices. ATVs and excavators took our hire work.

Not wanting to invade the thread here but it's the type of ground you work in, and to a lesser extent the width of plates that affect running costs. For performance, wider pushes more, except in rock!!!........C ya..........Ray

cr500

LGP grousers are great in mud and slush. If you are working in areas where dozers can easily get bogged then go for the LGPs, but if flotation isnt needed, then go for the narrowest grouser plates you will need. If you are in hard ground, such as in the mines, then having wide shoes will put a lot of leverage on the track bushes and pins, causing bad track chain life, tracks will lengthen quickly and you will get occaisional broken links.
You might get slightly more traction with wide plates, but the extra load will be transfered to track pins/bushes, sprocket segments, final drive, all the way back to transmission, push arm balls etc.

That said, I have seen some swamp dozers go in some REALY yucky stuff and not get stuck due to their LGP tracks.