• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

pros and cons to ring drive center unloaders for stave silo.

boatmanjj24

Ok guys and gals out ther in the dairy and beef industrie, what can you tell me abought using big jim unloaders in stave silos. Is it posibble to use them in harvestores. How well does it work with corn sylage, haylage, ground ear corn? I am trying to find info on this type of unloader and the use of it with thes types of feed. Also looking for any info on were I might be able to find articals on this topic and posible dealers for used units for sale. There is not to much info on big jim unloaders out there so I am out of ideas on were to go. I am shure ther are alot of people out there that are using this unloader or no some one that has used it. Thank you for any info provided.

td25c

Hi boatmanjj24. Never was around a Big Jim unloader. We used an old Silo-Matic surface drive unloader on a small uprite silo for years.It was fairly troublefree,The drive wheel would get stuck in the silage once in awhile.Here are a few models from Silo-Matic showing surface & ring drive units. From what I can tell the ring drive is more aggressive whith a few more moving parts than the surface drive. www.silo-matic.com/pdfs/GII-Unloader-Manual.pdf www.silo-matic.com/pdfs/GRD-Unloader-Manual.pdf Later we quit using the uprite & built a bunker silo in the ground with a concrete floor. www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?11674-Corn-silage-cutting

boatmanjj24

Hi boatmanjj24. Never was around a Big Jim unloader. We used an old Silo-Matic surface drive unloader on a small uprite silo for years.It was fairly troublefree,The drive wheel would get stuck in the silage once in awhile.Here are a few models from Silo-Matic showing surface & ring drive units. From what I can tell the ring drive is more aggressive whith a few more moving parts than the surface drive. www.silo-matic.com/pdfs/GII-Unloader-Manual.pdf www.silo-matic.com/pdfs/GRD-Unloader-Manual.pdf Later we quit using the uprite & built a bunker silo in the ground with a concrete floor. www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?11674-Corn-silage-cutting

If I had a choice I would have to go with ring drive unit just becouse it would be more reliable in my eyes and it seams to provide a more uniform feed leval and does not get stuck in the feed so much. I am looking into the center hole unloading big jim becouse of the lack of moving parts and reliability this is just what I have herd not had any exspereance with the unit that is why I am looking for some more info on the unit. Thank you for your input.