• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Proposed massive public works program

Status
Not open for further replies.

stretch

Occupation
gopher
Just a few months ago my dad had to get going on a new salt shed in the southern part of the county. This was a state salt shed, paid for BY THE STATE OF WISCONSIN. We have tons of really good builders in the area and they ended up hiring some knot heads from down south of chicago who did a terible job and was WAY over what it would hav cost anyone of the local builders in the area. If it is state work, then state companies should have the job. Keep the money working in your own area. But hey the gov't knows what its doing, RIGHT?

Trbo

I agree. (Maybe not about the government knowing what's right...:rolleyes:) We have contractors bidding on local work from out-of-state all the time now when there are plenty of local contractors, with years of experience working for our town government, who know how to do it right, the first time!

One out-of-town guy came in and built a pumphouse in a nicer section of town a few years back. Instead, it ended up having problems and causing sewage overflows until another guy was brought in to fix the problem. :pointhead Unfortunately, I think they ended up replacing the building altogether and costing thousands more than it should have.

KevD815

I remember that pumphouse Stretch (im from southington too). If i remember correctly, that new pumphouse was built the RIGHT way in less than 1/4 of the time it took the first company to screw it up.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Its great to try to stimulate the economy and create jobs, but paying for it with more loans from China or just printing U.S. dollars to pay for projects is asanine.

Legalize pot...:drinkup
Tax pot.....:usa
Stop spending money on a (drug) war that can't be won.
Isn't pot one of the nations biggest cash crops?
If so, think of the tax money that could be put back into the system.:eek:
Allowing China or any foreign country to bail US out is degrading :badidea
How long will we allow these elected jerks to use foreign money to bail us out?

We may have won the battle, but with the way things are going, we'll never win the war :cool2

:cool:

Reuben

Its a start, Rendell is already doing that here in PA,well was anyway

In my opinion....the whole problem with the economy is simply people running in fear,thanks to the media.The only reason I can see the economy is so messed up is the price of fuel. Come on every single company in the world is struggling with the exception of the oil companies and they showed the highest profits EVER EVER EVER!! in the whole wide world. I sure as hell hope there is not anyone scratching there head while reading that. Call up CNN,Fox news,ABC,NBC and simply have them say..."hey everyone the recession is over, every thing is looking good,wall street is feeling happy,the housing market is rapidly getting better etc."( ya I know its not that easy:)) EVERY ONE FEEDS OFF THE DANG MEDIA. This just in the....the sky is falling..well holy #%*! run for your life.....:falldownlaugh. you following me?

Oh ya.I think the oil companies should be investigated as to why the above mentioned happened and make them bail out the BIG 3. My opinion...its their fault

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I remember that pumphouse Stretch (im from southington too). If i remember correctly, that new pumphouse was built the RIGHT way in less than 1/4 of the time it took the first company to screw it up.

Welcome to the site Kev! :drinkup Glad to see another local on here.

Sam

You may want to write me off as a raving lunatic. I wouldn't blame you - not one bit.
But, I am terrified, and I think it is different, this time.

The below discussion was done by Europeans. I have no clue who or where they are, but they seem highly credible.

They are saying that there well could be food riots and tax revolts in the USA, by next summer. That is their target estimate for when we will wake up to a new currency, and your dollars will be worth dimes.

Summer 2009: The US government defaults on its debt
September 2008 is the month when the « financial detonator » of the global systemic crisis exploded.

This second semester 2008 is the time when « the world dives into the heart of the impact phase of the global systemic crisis » (6); which means for our researchers that, at the end of this semester, the world enters the « decanting phase » of the crisis, i.e. a phase when the outcome of the shock settles down. This phase is the longest (from 3 to 10 years, according to the country) and the one affecting the largest number of people and countries. It is also the phase when the components of new global equilibriums will start to appear...

Phase IV of the Global Systemic crisis: Breakdown of the Global Monetary System by summer 2009
The G20-meeting held in Washington on November 14/15, 2008, is in its essence a historical indicator that the Western - above all Anglo-Saxon - monopoly on global economic and financial governance, is coming to an end.

By summer 2009, the failing of the current system and that of the United States at the center, will lead the whole planet to an unprecedented economic, social, political and strategic instability, and more specifically to a breakdown of the global monetary system.

A 3rd party analysis from March 2008, on the authors of the above comments:

In summery, they seem to be rather on target in their predictions.
This group of surprising historical accuracy is predicting a systematic meltdown in Sept/Oct.
This is not a radical group in their thinking, others have arrived to the same conclusions.

hoop

You may want to write me off as a raving lunatic. I wouldn't blame you - not one bit.
But, I am terrified, and I think it is different, this time.

The below discussion was done by Europeans. I have no clue who or where they are, but they seem highly credible.

They are saying that there well could be food riots and tax revolts in the USA, by next summer. That is their target estimate for when we will wake up to a new currency, and your dollars will be worth dimes.

Summer 2009: The US government defaults on its debt
September 2008 is the month when the « financial detonator » of the global systemic crisis exploded.

This second semester 2008 is the time when « the world dives into the heart of the impact phase of the global systemic crisis » (6); which means for our researchers that, at the end of this semester, the world enters the « decanting phase » of the crisis, i.e. a phase when the outcome of the shock settles down. This phase is the longest (from 3 to 10 years, according to the country) and the one affecting the largest number of people and countries. It is also the phase when the components of new global equilibriums will start to appear...

Phase IV of the Global Systemic crisis: Breakdown of the Global Monetary System by summer 2009
The G20-meeting held in Washington on November 14/15, 2008, is in its essence a historical indicator that the Western - above all Anglo-Saxon - monopoly on global economic and financial governance, is coming to an end.

By summer 2009, the failing of the current system and that of the United States at the center, will lead the whole planet to an unprecedented economic, social, political and strategic instability, and more specifically to a breakdown of the global monetary system.

A 3rd party analysis from March 2008, on the authors of the above comments:

In summery, they seem to be rather on target in their predictions.
This group of surprising historical accuracy is predicting a systematic meltdown in Sept/Oct.
This is not a radical group in their thinking, others have arrived to the same conclusions.

Why does this seem so credible to you? Just because it was reviewed by a nameless third party, and the analysis itself done of nameless Europeans? Was it done by the economics department at Oxford, or just some faceless blogger? Wasn't there another theory like this going around that there would be riots and global panic very shorty after the quadruple witching day (ooooh, sounds scary doesn't it :p). That came and went without so much as a hiccup, so hopefully this theory does the same.

Sam

A business can operate on borrowed money, up to a point. Then, it can't.

Gov't can print money, but there are limits there, just as there are limits to everything.

Unless gov't is somehow immune to the principles of money..

Well, we have about 6 months, to find out.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I don't know about anyone else but I am doing very well. Making more then I have ever made before, working less then I have to, Most every thing I have is paid for, and have money in the bank, and in a sock. I also have more work then I can handle or would want to. Contracts signed for the next 5 years. Leases signed for the next 5 years. Because of the way I have diversified my business 50% of it could fail and I would still be making a living.
With other business failing it leaves the door open for new investments. I am not going to stick my head in the sand and wait for dooms day, if it comes I will go out with a bang. if it does not come I will be on top of it all.
I started with nothing, and if I had to I could do it again I could but this time with experience.

Think positive. If everyone did the situation most everyone is in would not exist.

Lets hear it for the pipe line out of Alaska. Private money spent by the oil co's. infusion of how many billions of $s into the construction industry. Not government loans that have to be paid back. feeding the bottom of the food chain, letting it work it's way up.
Only thing I can see that is going to slow it down is the tree huggers.

Dwan

Last edited:

dumptrucker

I don't know about anyone else but I am doing very well. Making more then I have ever made before, working less then I have to, Most every thing I have is paid for, and have money in the bank, and in a sock. I also have more work then I can handle or would want to. Contracts signed for the next 5 years. Leases signed for the next 5 years. Because of the way I have diversified my business 50% of it could fail and I would still be making a living.
With other business failing it leaves the door open for new investments. I am not going to stick my head in the sand and wait for dooms day, if it comes I will go out with a bang. if it does not come I will be on top of it all.
I started with nothing, and if I had to I could do it again I could but this time with experience.

Think positive. If everyone did the situation most everyone is in would not exist.

Lets hear it for the pipe line out of Alaska. Private money spent by the oil co's. infusion of how many billions of $s into the construction industry. Not government loans that have to be paid back. feeding the bottom of the food chain, letting it work it's way up.
Only thing I can see that is going to slow it down is the tree huggers.

Dwan

Amen! :notworthy I am in my fifth year of having my own business, and my twentieth year in the construction industry. This year was my best year in business and next year looks to be as good if not better. When I ran the excavation end of a business we did better in a recession.
Interest rates drop and people (the working man) can afford to do new homes , additions, and other things. As gas prices keep falling more people will invest again, and travel , shop and spend money. It may take 2 to 5 years to get out of this rut but all this doomsday stuff was said back in the eightees and did it happen? No!
Like Dwan said we need to have a more positive outlook on the economy and our lives.
As far as the press goes believe about 40 percent of what is said. It would be nice to see some positive things printed in the press for a change , instead of doom and gloom all the time.
Happy Holidays to everyone on HEF! The best to all !

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
These seem relevant, somehow....

Attachments

• 2074221914_b82659fc8e.jpg
    2074221914_b82659fc8e.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 380
  • government.jpg
    government.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 383

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Good one Alan!!

"We are from your Government. We are here to help you."
Im sure thats a quote I herd somewhere but cant remember where.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
"We are from your Government. We are here to help you.

Ronald Reagan.:usa

The most terrifying words in the English language - "We are from the Federal Government and we are here to help".

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
If these Public works plans take effect, the real test is how its administered. How much loss versus how much profit.

Transportation systems of all types is a must. How well the money alloted is spent on such systems will prove as a "financial savior" IF the amount of theft/bid corruption/material control's is kept in check.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Just my .02

The private sector is not really moving right now, due to tight credit, and a slow real estate market. The stimulus just might be the thing to slow the freefall of the economy, if not turn it around. Remember this work will be done by private contracting companies, it's not what the talking heads on TV make it out to be. Around here a lot of roads need widening anyway. When they designed the roads here they had no idea how much residential development there would be.

Hydro101

well the stimulus turned out to be not as good as they originally said.. its only down to 40 some billion now, from the 350 billion originally stated.. its going to help but i was hoping for much more!

hvy 1ton

Not sure where your geting your number but it's near 800 bill. I heard a figure last week off fox that it was enough to give every person in WORLD $1400, but i'm too lazy to go number crunching. :bash
Here is the tax portion of the stimulus bill, don't have anything on the other 2/3s of the bill, but thats the government.
http://finance.senate.gov/sitepages/leg/LEG 2009/021209 American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.pdf
and the wiki article on it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Recovery_and_Reinvestment_Act_of_2009
If this bill was ALL tax cuts and infrastructure spending i would be all for it, and i mean real infrastructure not building government buildings. Infrastructure spending is at least a year out in most cases, which by then we may or may not be out of this mess without it or deeper in with it. Isn't the law of intended consequences fun?:Banghead

They took out a tax credit to buy new cars and cut a tax credit to buy a home in half. Both tax credit were deemed to logical to be enacted. Small business create jobs not the government, until the government figures that out small business will continue be regulated out existence.
Sorry for the mess, but this all give me a headache

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
even as a canadain i would love to see the market get pulled out on both sides of the boarder. much like the US they also promise public works projects. and yet again ill belive it when i see it. to pull the world out of the world of **** that its heading for the public watch dogs that watch the big brother spending should be gearing up to go through the bills with a fine tooth comb, i heard on the news a while ago that some bail out money had been released here for the banks but no one was to sure where alot of it went....well thats nice isnt it? so hopefully if these projects do see the light of day that the money is actuly spent on the use it was meant for..not a day of golf with the budwiser girls...allthough we all wish:drinkup

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
Laying blame won't solve problems

It seems many people have someone to blame for the current economic situation and there sure were a few people in the financial system in the USA and other countries who should give back their bonuses to taxpayers and then some. It also seems the previous Government was asleep at the wheel to let all this happen as well.

However when Government cops the blame, and sometimes it well deserves a serve, think about what it's like to be in local, state or Federal Government trying to keep everyone happy. A few friends of mine have been in local Government in my part of Australia. All of them went in to be honest representatives of their community and none of them have lasted beyond a single term. They just got burnt out. They weren't paid much at all and it was a full time job 7 days a week. Unfortunately there were councillors already in place who didn't rate integrity highly so they had a hard time on every issue where they felt outcomes were not right for their constituents. But they retained their integrity throughout and achieved some great outcomes through sheer hard work.

But one of the biggest problems of being in Government at every level is keeping everyone happy. There are thousands of people with issues they feel are life and death for them and stuff everyone else. I see them in my community turning up at meetings wanting something done now for them and then when they have what they want they don't hang around to help others with their needs even though they had the support of those others to help them.

We need to get beyond selfish concerns and help each other to achieve benefits for our communities which are for the common good of all. If we unite as a community around a common cause it makes it a lot easier for the Govt at whatever level to support a good outcome instead of broadcasting money around hoping enough will hit everybody and make 'em happy. Also working with others in your community is a great way to spread the word about your business and get yourself known as a decent person who deserves to get any work which may come up amongst community members.

Also do some research on your Govt representatives by talking to them all and finding out what they are really like. Some will be worse than you can imagine and others will be good. Support the decent incorruptible ones even if it goes against your previous party preferences.

And horror of horrors talk to the greenies/tree huggers etc. And I don't mean the feral ones the media loves to show. Statistically environmentally minded folk are generally higher income earners and potentially great sources of work for small operators. So what if they want you to work around every tree to save it and don't want you to run over snakes. They're paying for the extra time it takes and if they like your work and attitude they'll get you back. What's more they'll tell their friends too.

Oh and grow your own vegies, livestock if you can. Tastes better than those at the supermarket and saves heaps. Previous generations including my grandparents did this as a matter of course after going through the great depression and second world war, and in tough times it really pays off.

Regards Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.