• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Proper place to discuss pricing here?

mountainrancher

I'm shopping for equipment and looking for some insight to pricing. Is there a proper place to do this on the forum?

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
This should be as good a place as any.

To answer your question, a lot. Lots of money, it's all expensive . . .

nicky 68a

I think premium brands will stay high for ever.In the last 3 years,inflation globally has caused significant price increases for the manufacturers themselves.
Pre covid,a UK D9T would set you back £680k approx for a new 2019 unit.
This saw major jumps to £750k in 2020.That trend continues to this day,and as of last week,a new D9 will cost £946k and you’ll get it in 2024.
This has put continuous upwards pressure on second hand kit.
Cat is a global currency

nicky 68a

As the economy shrinks,the price of used quality plant will initially ease off,or simply stop increasing.It won’t come down that much unless you start seeing insolvency auctions,but even then,the big boy dealers with money in the bank won’t let others buy it too cheap.They’ll have it themselves and sit on it for as long as it takes.
Then there’s a few of the wealthier contractors that may sell a few of their older machines to keep the wages going through tight times,but probably not enough to cause prices to tumble.
Then,last of all,there’s the small outfits that are selling up because they can’t make it pay,or they’ve just had enough.
The big manufacturers will simply stop or slow production down,they won’t cut their selling prices at the factory.They can’t.

nicky 68a

I should point out,that I’m only talking about premium brand equipment that has a global market.I’m not sure how prices of cheaper brands,or products that are made and only sold in the countries that they are made in,would hold up in a recession.

mountainrancher

What are you looking for? A Philips head screw driver? A Cat D11? Or something in between?
Currently looking at a mini excavator KX040 from Kubota. Buying one now, am going to hold off on the latter for a while. Pricing for a single machine is about 12% off MSRP, apparently they have more factory incentives if you buy more than one.

Not sure if the dealers are negotiating lower than this right now or not. The machine has a cab and 6way blade and is $69k.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
As the economy shrinks,the price of used quality plant will initially ease off,or simply stop increasing.It won’t come down that much unless you start seeing insolvency auctions,but even then,the big boy dealers with money in the bank won’t let others buy it too cheap.They’ll have it themselves and sit on it for as long as it takes.
Then there’s a few of the wealthier contractors that may sell a few of their older machines to keep the wages going through tight times,but probably not enough to cause prices to tumble.
Then,last of all,there’s the small outfits that are selling up because they can’t make it pay,or they’ve just had enough.
The big manufacturers will simply stop or slow production down,they won’t cut their selling prices at the factory.They can’t.

Well said N68.

The only thing I would add that will keep the price of the larger iron up is all the money the US Fed has printed over the last several years has not all been released/spent in the market which will only drive up inflation. A good chunk of this yet to be spent money will be on infrastructure projects driving up or at least holding steady the demand for heavy equipment. Now this may not affect the global equipment market but will affect the North American market.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
In general, some time after everyone agrees that "the price of this or that is outrageous and will never come down" is when it tanks real bad.

We'll see.

I've seen that before in the real estate market back in '08..

mountainrancher

I've seen that before in the real estate market back in '08..
Yeah. Commercial real estate is going to get hurt hard. However we have lost the petrodollar. Printing more money is the only option. I'm not sure if there will be a meaningful correction. I'm really curious though if the dealers are negotiating yet. The last couple of years they were not in my area.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Word on the street down here is that interest rates will start dropping in the 3rd and 4th quarter of this year and also Deere is getting ready to offer some incentives like 0% financing. the word on your street may be completely different and YMMV.

mountainrancher

Word on the street down here is that interest rates will start dropping in the 3rd and 4th quarter of this year and also Deere is getting ready to offer some incentives like 0% financing. the word on your street may be completely different and YMMV.
What's that mean? Prices will come down? Kubota is already offering pretty low interest rates.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I doubt the actual price will drop but hopefully interest rates will lower. What is kubota offering? I was looking into upgrading service trucks this year and the interest rate on a used truck scared me into keeping mine a while longer.

mountainrancher

I doubt the actual price will drop but hopefully interest rates will lower. What is kubota offering? I was looking into upgrading service trucks this year and the interest rate on a used truck scared me into keeping mine a while longer.
They've got their cash discount on the machine of about $2300. If you finance, that $2300 you pay buys you 3 years. Then, adding on to it, it's 1% for 4 years, 2% for 5, and 3% for 6.

The 3 or 4 year plan are most appealing IMO.

MG84

12% off msrp isn’t a bad deal, best I’ve every gotten on Kubota equipment is 15% off. Kinda depends when they got the machine in and what their cost on the unit is.