• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Projected operating cost of 6' asphalt mill (Asphalt Zipper)

smoothoperator

Occupation
County and township maintenance and snow removal,
Our County just purchased a new 6' Cummins powered Asphalt Zipper brand mill. We will be using it for culvert cuts in asphalt roads, milling several miles of hot mix before road widening, and turning some low traffic/old coldmix roads back to gravel. We will also be helping out some small towns with very small projects that won't justify calling in a large milling contractor. The base material under some of these roads is of questionable quality, so we probably won't be milling /grinding more than 4" to 8" depth at the most. It will be mounted on a JD 644J, with water supply, and our concern will be more with tooth/holder life and finished size than square yards per hour.(within reason, of course) I understand the variables can swing costs either way, and maybe we just need to run through a few tanks of fuel and water, and a set of teeth before we can set our rates. Just hoping someone could shoot a ballpark figure for me to tell the boss. In the future, we may use it for base stabilization, but for now, we worry about asphalt, and stay away from the rocks.

smoothoperator

Last edited:

jreese87

Please call me with your questions on the bit usage.

John
Asphalt Zipper
801-847-3211